Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-26-2012, 06:12 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgeary View Post
By the way. Thanks for the help everyone. Out skiing again after removing the raw water pump and the spark plugs. Don't want to do that again though (quite a bit of work). The next time the starter lands on the broken tooth, I guess I'll be pulling the boat out of the water and changing the ring gear. Unless anyone knows of an easier way to turn the flywheel.
Thanks again.
if you pull the spark plugs, you should be able to grab the belt and turn it over enough to go past the missing tooth.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:14 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgeary View Post
By the way. Thanks for the help everyone. Out skiing again after removing the raw water pump and the spark plugs. Don't want to do that again though (quite a bit of work). The next time the starter lands on the broken tooth, I guess I'll be pulling the boat out of the water and changing the ring gear. Unless anyone knows of an easier way to turn the flywheel.
Thanks again.
The tool is easy to use, wrap the chain around the flat part of the balancer attach to handle the chain grips and it uses leverage to spin. I use one all the time on holding balancers from turning when I remove the the big bolt...

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE

Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 08-27-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1979 Stars & Stripes
I have same issue....

When starter gets on a broken tooth I turn the propeller by hand - or have whoever is in the water do it; seems to work. Rocking the boat has also worked. I had trans out twice and knew I should have checked/replaced dampener & flywheel; lesson learned.

Tags
351, flywheel, mastercraft