Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 10:38 PM
benysh benysh is offline
TT Newbie
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: 1976 Stars and Stripes
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2
what are those things beneath the fuel cell ?

I am new to inboards when I got a '76 Stars and Stripes. Given it's age, maybe not the best choice for a first inboard, but my family fell in love with it.

So, I'm slowly working though some overdue maintenance issues and learning new concepts along the way (such as a failed impeller on the second day out).

Today I started to notice some wetness in the rear, and bilged out an impressive amount of water. Opening up the covers in the rear (back on the boat lift), I noticed one side of the exhaust near the transom was quite wet (and evidence it has been wet before with mold). This was right around a section that was wrapped in an insulation and the insulation was soaked.

When I look in from the outside, through the flappers, I noticed a series of intersecting rubber baffles(?) . The 'wet' side's baffles seemed to be more deteriorated.

So, what are those things beneath the fuel cell? Conceivable that they Deteriorate and leak? Would you say it's likely I found my leak? Other possibilities?

I've found Engine manuals... where would someone find manuals for the rest of the boat? (a mastercraft PCM)
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:17 AM
76S&S's Avatar
76S&S 76S&S is offline
MC Devotee
Join Date: Jun 2007
Boat: 2002 X Star
Location: Lake Tuscaloosa, AL
Posts: 2,362
Sounds like you are referring to the mufflers. I had to replace mine several years ago before selling her.
Being on the water is best, but when I'm not on the water I'm on TT.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:34 PM
benysh benysh is offline
TT Newbie
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: 1976 Stars and Stripes
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2
ah, just mufflers...

okay. I assumed they were doing some muffling function and/or keeping water out. But was thinking there would be a specific term for them. In my searches, I'd seen references to 'silencers'. I just wanted to be sure I was searching for the correct thing as I go off to order parts.

Relatedly, anyone with recommendations on best places to find parts or manuals for older boats like this '76 S&S ?
Reply With Quote

exhaust, leak, newbie, stars and stripes

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:55 PM.