Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 07-30-2012, 05:30 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X30, 2002, Northstar 330
2002 X30 & Wakesurfing

We have a 2002 x30 that we picked up in April. Outside of a lot of dumb little things, its been a great boat.

Since getting the boat, we've really taken to surfing (or attempting) more than wakeboarding. Our challenge though, is we just can't get the dang thing to lean over enough (at least I think).

Here's our setup:
Factory hard tanks are out.
750 lb. sac port side stern
370 lb. sac under the seat port
370 lb. sac in the ski locker
650 lb. sac in the bow (horse shoe)

This weekend, we had 4 adults and 4 children in the boat while towing. Kids were in the bow (typically) with three adults on the port side and of course a driver. The boat was leaning, but still seemed to want to sit upright.

While riding the wave, it has height to it (approximately knee high on me - maybe a bit higher). We've tried various speeds ranging from 9-12 mph.The wave will often have a foamy lip but the big issue is that there is NO PUSH to it. I was able to hit the sweet spot a little bit this weekend but it was very tight and close to the boat. There is no way I could go wireless as I would just fall behind and sink. I'm on a pretty fast board (Inland Surfer Black Pearl) so I don't think its an issue of the board keeping up.

I'm just at a loss on what to do. I've had a few conversations with the guys at wakemakers and the consensus is that we are doing things right. I just don't know what else to try.

Any ideas? If there is anyone out there with this hull that can surf behind their's well and cares to share photos, video and or setup, I'd appreciate it. We're new to this so I certainly don't rule out that we are doing something wrong, I just don't know what else to try. We can continue to use the rope but that defeats at least part of the fun of surfing.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 X30 6.0
Wow, really surprised you're having trouble with the way you're set up. '03 X-30 here and we were able to go ropeless even back in the stock hard tanks no additional ballast days. Wasn't a great wake, but still.

How deep is the lake/river? Our lake is quite shallow (8ft) and this time of year as the water gets lower I find that I have to put more and more weight up front. For example, this weekend we had 5 guys on the boat and surf starboard side. Had 1100 in the rear locker and to offset that needed the 650 horseshoe in the bow, 370 in the ski locker, 750 in the bow walkway (all the way forward), AND two guys in the bow. Without all that weight in the nose the wake was just frothy. I normally don't need all that in the bow but once it gets to about 7 ft and below I do. I also have an 8.1L so may need a little more in the bow than normal to offset that as well.

Tags
ballast setup, fat sack, wakesurf, x30