Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2012, 02:04 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2010 197
Leaking bilge seal on 2010 MC197!

I recently had my 2010 197 put in the water and discovered I had water coming into the bilge.
I then had my dealer/local Mastercraft repair shop take the boat out of the water.
They say it was a leaking seal around the bilge plug. The plug was apparently sealed with silicone. "the repair tech said, "this happens all the time {to new boats}."

Really.

One buddy of mine said, " I wouldn't seal anything below the waterline with silicone.
Plus, you have a new 60k + boat' it shouldn't do that!"

This is my feeling. Brand new boat shouldn't be leaking. Plus the MC shop tells me this is not under warranty. So the repair guy sealed it with 5200 caulk. Tough stuff. But why is this not used in the manufacturing in the first place? Again, this is a 60k+ boat! Doesn't seem right that MC would use an inferior product when using a 5200 caulk wouldn't have cost them much more. Now I have to pay for my dealer to haul the boat out/in and do this work all due to a poor choice in caulk? If I had not noticed this in the very beginning my boat might have sank!

My question is:
Is this in fact standard manufacturing process for MC (or any other manufacturer) to seal with silicone at the under-the-waterline water points-of-entry (bilge plug, raw water intake, rudder post, stuffing box, bolts through the transom at the swim step)? IT seems to me that if this is a manufacturing choice that causes me to spend money on the boat in the first 3 years then I should not have to pay for the repair of an issue that could have/should have been done right in the first place. Car manufacturers have recalls for these issues, right?

Thank you for any insight you all may have!

Jerncalled
[/font][/font][/size][/size][/size][/size][/font]
Attached Images

Tags
bilge, leak, plug, rudder post, silicone