Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 06-17-2012, 12:50 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: '88 Prostar 190
Unhappy How to remove '88 Prostar 190 Windshield

Hi All. I'm new to the forums as I just bought my first Mastercraft. I'm excited to get this thing on the water this season and get back into boarding. I'm going to have it painted all the way around and I am trying to remove my windshield but it seems almost impossible. I removed all the screws on the insides and out and I removed a nut from a bolt that starts halfway into the windshield and bolts into the body... but I still cannot remove the windshield. I thought there was adhesive connecting to the body so I got a razor and started cutting it, yet no avail. Do you have any pointers on some things I can try? This thing seems like it is not coming off and it's killing me. Thanks in advance for any advice. Have a great day and season everyone.

-Steve
Old 06-17-2012, 01:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W

The windshield comes apart in 5 sections. If I remember correctly, the side sections slide upward off of the front section once the attachment screws are removed.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:27 PM
TT Newbie

Ok, so maybe I should just yank a little harder upward on the sides. I felt dumb trying to pull sideways once I felt that bolt underneath. I assume the foam weatherstripping adhesive is the only thing holding it down. Thanks again and I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

-Steve
Old 06-17-2012, 10:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W

You shouldn't have to yank too hard. All 5 sections need to be separated by removing the small screws in the panels between them. Also, check to make sure that you removed all the nuts and washers under the deck, and the screws at the very back of the side windows that are screwed directly into the deck from the top. Good luck!
Old 06-17-2012, 11:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Prostar, 351 Windsor
you removed the bolts that attach the frame to the hull? The ones with nuts under the closed bow.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:56 PM
TT Newbie

Correct... was I not supposed to do that? My overall goal is to take it all off so the entire body can be painted there and so I can refinish the trim since the last owner's son decided to shoot a white spray can with a pellet gun near the boat before he sold the boat. So the trim has white speckles everywhere. This seems harder than it needs to be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkorep2 View Post
you removed the bolts that attach the frame to the hull? The ones with nuts under the closed bow.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Prostar, 351 Windsor
No, you should have removed those. The hardest part of removing the frame for me was the rusted nuts on all those bolts. It shouldnt be hard to remove at all. I removed the rear sections first, and then pulled the main windshield. It kinda just slid out for me.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:30 PM
TT Newbie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkorep2 View Post
No, you should have removed those. The hardest part of removing the frame for me was the rusted nuts on all those bolts. It shouldnt be hard to remove at all. I removed the rear sections first, and then pulled the main windshield. It kinda just slid out for me.
Things I learned:

1) Do not try to take off windshield in 100-deg weather. Rubber expands and makes the windshield lock-tight.

2) Do not try to unscrew the inside screws first. They are hard to get to because you don't need to take them off first.

3) Start with unbolting all the inside/bottom nuts from the through-bolts that secure to the body. You need like a 8mm or 5/16" long socket, I forget which. With these off the entire windshield should slide right UP, then you can take it all apart in pieces.

This is an '88 so I don't even know if this will help anyone anymore... so ya. The boat actually looks really slick without the windshield. You could probably fiberglass the windshield grooves and put bubble-style windshields on there. Anyhow, everything is ripped out and this thing is ready to go to the paint booth. Everything is being reupholstered currently so more pics to come (probably in a different thread). Thanks for the help guys!!!

Tags
190, disassemble, prostar, remove, windshield