Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 06-18-2012, 07:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
That's likely the problem. The previous owner of my TriStar told me that he would shove a tiny wad of rag into the vent to stop water from getting in. I didn't believe him . . . but I should have. My first couple of outings with the boat, sure enough, I got water in the tank. I started plugging the vent like he suggested and then it was OK. As I mentioned above, eventually I turned it so it was facing the stern and then all was well.

Yes, there should be a small chrome bullet-shaped cap on the vent. It's pointed at one end and open at the other. On most TriStars I've seen the open end faces down and therein lies the problem. (There's another opening in the hull close to it but that's the bilge pump outlet.) Sorry I don't have close up pics to illustrate.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:01 PM
TT Regular

Similar problem here, thinking its water in the tank. wondering what your guys symptoms are when this happens, like will it still idle but not run strong or just not start at all?

Here is what i changed, rebuilt carb from dealer, new fuel pump and filter, new water separator, new spark plugs, and new starter. it will start up everytime i take off and has power but as soon as i come off the throttle and hit it again it has very little power at all and i have to idle back to the dock.

Has anyone had issues like this, its an 89 tristar open bow with a 351. I am at a loss of where to try next?
Old 06-19-2012, 11:48 PM
MC Fanatic

When I had water in the tank it would start running rough and I would have to pump the throttle to keep it going. Eventually it wouldn't run at all. The final time before I fixed it for good, the boat stalled on me in the middle of the lake. I pulled the rubber fuel line off the pressure side of the fuel pump and put it into an empty plastic pop bottle. I hit the starter for numerous short bursts until most of the water was pumped out of the tank. Eventually I got the motor running before the battery was completely dead and got back to shore.

Your problem may be a bit of water but it sounds more carb related. I might want to check the power valve in the carb even though it's been rebuilt. Is the carb the stock Holley 4160? There are other culprits to track down too -- vacuum leaks, choke sticking, sticking floats (although that usually causes flooding),
Old 06-20-2012, 06:49 AM
MC Fanatic

Thinking further . . .
Are your accelerator pumps giving a little shot when the throttle advances from idle? You should be able to see it when you look down intro the throttle bores from above. It should be an even, fine mist.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:53 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerd View Post

Yes, there should be a small chrome bullet-shaped cap on the vent. It's pointed at one end and open at the other. On most TriStars I've seen the open end faces down and therein lies the problem. (There's another opening in the hull close to it but that's the bilge pump outlet.) Sorry I don't have close up pics to illustrate.
I did find a pic. If you look closely you can see a little piece of blue shop towel sticking out of the vent.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2012, 08:35 AM
TT Regular

To test if it was water in the gas I brought a 5 gallon gas can with me with fresh gas in it, put the fuel line in it and it ran like a champ no problems at all. So next step was hand pumping out 22 gallons of fuel out of the tank, putting 5 gallons into the tank running it dry until it died and then filled it up with fresh gas. It runs perfect now, good news is that the carb, starter, fuel pump, filter, water seperator filter, and spark plugs have all been relaced now haha. It sure was hot hand pumping out all that fuel in 98 degree sun.

Tags
fuel vent, gas vent, tristar, water in gas tank