Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 06-19-2012, 02:24 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I've owned 5 different inboards and the X-star is a whole different animal when it comes to loading her on the trailer. (because of the pickle fork bow)

You can power load as suggested only if the ramp is not too steep, otherwise the flat part of the bow tries to go under the boat buddy, plus the boat hits the spare tire too. If the ramp is not steep, put your trailer in so the fenders are just barely under water.

On steeper ramps (like ours) I put the trailer in deep so my suburban's tailpipe is just starting to blow bubbles, then I float it on and winch it the final 1-2 feet. I usually have someone in the back of the boat as I pull out to make sure it's centered between the guide poles. Most of the time it centers itself pretty well.

With most boats with a V-shaped bow just power load and you're done. Takes 30 seconds tops.

What year is your X-star?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:34 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 X-Star & 1994 Prostar 190 Protour
Here in Michigan most ramps don't allow power loading nor do I find it necessary. I back the trailer in pretty deep until the fenders are submerged, and float my X-Star onto the trailer. I only have to winch it a couple of feet and it's not a hard pull. I put a Stoltz bow roller on the trailer and that helps also. A slow pull up the ramp with the truck and the boat centers itself on the bunks and life is good. 2007 X-Star and MC Trailer.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: none
2004 xstar
Old 06-21-2012, 06:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

I have found that with power is how you steer, but then you come in hot sometimes. No power you drift sideways....
I've tried fenders under water and if you don't line up perfectly on the approach, it rattles its way into position. I've torn the middle bunks up twice and had to replace, when it was to shallow.

We boat all over, so the angle of the ramps changes constantly...
Old 06-22-2012, 05:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-STAR 2006 MCX
What kind of trailer do you have? I have a SBT and have to have the rear wheels of my truck touching the water than slowly float it on then you have to crank it up and may have to have who ever is driving the truck move it deeper or shallower to get it just right. Then I climb it the boat and head to the back and hold on to the Guides and make sure the boat goes on straight. It is easy once you get some seat time and get your wife or buddy trained up on the proper trailer placement.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESSTAR View Post
What kind of trailer do you have? I have a SBT and have to have the rear wheels of my truck touching the water than slowly float it on then you have to crank it up and may have to have who ever is driving the truck move it deeper or shallower to get it just right. Then I climb it the boat and head to the back and hold on to the Guides and make sure the boat goes on straight. It is easy once you get some seat time and get your wife or buddy trained up on the proper trailer placement.

I don't know what the trailer as far as brand. It is whatever was sold from Mastercraft in 2004. I don't know if they have used more than one company in producing trailers for them.

I have used your technique and that works, but I was hoping for a secret that would allow me to stay dry and put it in all in one motion, like my old boat. May just be a product of the rudder and v drive combo.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:16 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2008 X-35
I'm happy I found this post. I know it old but it helped a lot. I have had a few boats and never really had any problems loading them. But since I bought my x-35 I have had a few problems. But with the pickle fork bow it has kicked my butt a few times. Really makes you look like you should even have a boat sometimes. But I'm going to try floating it on more. I notice its harder the steper the ramp.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:23 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Steep ramps are always the most difficult. Practice when it's not busy at the ramp to find the best depth to have your trailer in the water. Most problems come from having the trailer in too far. Good luck.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Packages Starting at $569
4 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $319
2 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 12-07-2012, 01:00 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft x2 2012 ilmor
I work at a pro shop with a launch and after seeing this issue many many times Ill add this piece of advice: If you have a big boat, or a little truck, or the trailer wheels maybe get stuck on the start of the concrete ramp, the 350 horsepower engine on your boat can really help your tow vehicle out. Just give the boat some power to help push the thing outta the water.

Just in case this isn't obvious to everyone: 1. Make sure to shut the engine off and prop off before leaving the water. Honestly, as soon as the truck starts moving would be okay to shut it down. This tip is just to get it moving. 2. Not much power is needed...at all! This is really just meant to make the boat feel lighter on the trailer and the truck should still be the main tool. just a little bit helps more than you would think

Most common use for this application occurs when a smaller vehicle backs in deep enough to float the boat on, wheels get wet, and then you start slipping.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:15 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft x2 2012 ilmor
This is how you launch a boat.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796355