Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-09-2012, 07:12 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1984 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes
What are the advantages of electronic ignition? Also, I haven't been able to identify what carb i currently have but how was it obvious that i had an automotive and not a marine carb? I get the parts in on wednesday, interior will have to wait.. I'd like to take this boat out once before the lake dries up. Seems obvious but can I use an automotive fuel filter? O'Reilly's is down the street, West Marine is more than a skip and hop. I'll also go ahead and say y'all successfully talked me out of a tower after looking at one post on here. I guess it would be like putting a 3 foot spoiler on a 67 mustang.. Stripper pole it is, then.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Re: All things MC - The FAQ on the Gen Disc page is great

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ead.php?t=5427

Auto parts:

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/show...1&postcount=33
Old 06-10-2012, 08:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
Congrats on the boat man, any questions search here or ask away there is a real soft spot for these boats here. You wont find a better resource.

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 06-10-2012, 04:17 PM
TT Regular

Lumbergh that link helped a lot, off to the parts store. Are any of y'all based in Austin?
Old 06-10-2012, 05:08 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
What are the advantages of electronic ignition? Also, I haven't been able to identify what carb i currently have but how was it obvious that i had an automotive and not a marine carb? I get the parts in on wednesday, interior will have to wait.. I'd like to take this boat out once before the lake dries up. Seems obvious but can I use an automotive fuel filter? O'Reilly's is down the street, West Marine is more than a skip and hop. I'll also go ahead and say y'all successfully talked me out of a tower after looking at one post on here. I guess it would be like putting a 3 foot spoiler on a 67 mustang.. Stripper pole it is, then.
Electronic ignition operates on 2-3 time the voltage so the spark is much stronger. It also doesn't wear like points do.........and as they wear your dwell changes so there is an effect on start-up and running. Not that your boat isn't fully operational with points, it is just a great upgrade. I put upgrading mine off for two years as there were other boat items higher on the list.

The easiest way to tell a marine from an automotive Holley is the vent tubes on the marine version are "J" shaped to force any overflow fuel back into the carb, thereby not allowing it to run down the engine into the bilge and create an explosive situation. Marine versions don't have a functional fast idle attached to the automatic choke, as well as there are some other minor differences as well.

Glad you made the decision to go with the stripper pole. Your Mustang analogy was very accurate.

There are many parts on these boats that are simple automotive parts, or marine parts readily available. Some of the major marine only components are the carb, starter, distributor and alternator.

When I got my non-running project boat, I drew up a plan of attack where Phase 1 was to get the boat running properly and operational on the water. Phase 2 is mechanical upgrades with some cosmetic items (that's where I am now), and Phase 3 will almost exclusively cosmetic. This helped me plan costs and work (sort of) within my budget.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 06-10-2012, 06:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 84 mastercraft stars and stripes 351 with powerslot
I also have a 84 ss cream and brown. One thing to consider is to have your fuel line from fuel pump to carb all hard line(no rubber tubing). As far as starters go I just updated to an arco mini starter 118 bucks. Lightweight and more cranking power.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:46 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by millpondkid View Post
I also have a 84 ss cream and brown. One thing to consider is to have your fuel line from fuel pump to carb all hard line(no rubber tubing). As far as starters go I just updated to an arco mini starter 118 bucks. Lightweight and more cranking power.
Nice update.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 06-10-2012, 09:05 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
always check for parts and where to get them... for example parts are sometimes double at marine shops than at NAPA or Oreilly's - plus shipping. i.e. in line fuel filter 12.95 online plus freight as opposed to $6.95 at NAPA.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:58 PM
TT Regular

got it on the water yesterday, all the new parts and tips worked perfectly. Finally get to buy fun parts now.. Sent out for some MTX component speakers so i can drop the walmart speakers drywall screwed into the fiberglass. Will post pictures sunday of the engine bay. I've tried searching the forums, any idea on the ohm readings for the fuel gauge? The previous owner used a stick with notches in it as a fuel reading.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft Slot
I use a stick with notches too. More reliable than my sending unit.