Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-29-2012, 10:55 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Boatless but shopping
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Check the IAC (Idle Air Controller) or TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)
Thank you Craig. Can you be more specific please, do you have photos?
Thanks,
Old 05-30-2012, 01:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 05 xstar 8.1
I have actually used jb weld on a boat (not a mastercraft) a few years ago and it actually worked for quite a while. You do run the risk of it failing but if you do it rite it will work for temporary until you can afford to get the repair done or winter comes around.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '94 prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostarski190 View Post
Thank you Craig. Can you be more specific please, do you have photos?
Thanks,
You should be able to pull the engine codes to see if there are any problems related to the sensors. I had a problem with my Map sensor and found out about it by pulling the codes. Search for paper clip and codes.

I'm not sure but I would think that a cracked engine block could be messing everything up. I don't know if it is even worthwhile worrying about the idle until you get the crack taken care of.

I'm interested to see how your situation turns out. Shortly after purchasing my prostar ('94 TBI) I found out it had a blown head gasket. It stunk at the time, but looking back, even with the gasket problem, I don't regret the purchase because I was able to fix it myself and learned a lot in the process.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:30 PM
TT Regular

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpr05xtr View Post
I have actually used jb weld on a boat (not a mastercraft) a few years ago and it actually worked for quite a while. You do run the risk of it failing but if you do it rite it will work for temporary until you can afford to get the repair done or winter comes around.
Thanks cpr05xtr, it seems some have had success with JB Weld and some have not. I'm guessing it depends on several factors, how bad the crack is, how well the repair is done, location of crack, etc. I haven't done anything yet but I think I'm gonna strip away the current repair job, which is a joke, to evaluate. At that point I'll decide if JB is a option. I know the JB will be only a tempory fix. If I go with the JB it will be more to evaluate the condition of the transmission and overall running condition.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 78 S&S, 04 Pro 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
What advanced welder do you have for welding to this application? Make and model number?
The latest build by Miller - in the 140model line using SS & gas shielding.
Not currently at the shop for #'s.

No china junk from HarborFrieght.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:57 PM
TT Regular

Cracked block update

After much debate and info gathering I decided to sell the 96 190. It was really hard to let it go but I sold it to someone with more knowledge than me. He told me he was going to replace the block and interior. Thanks to all who offered their advice and shared their experiences with similar problems.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:07 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostarski190 View Post
After much debate and info gathering I decided to sell the 96 190. It was really hard to let it go but I sold it to someone with more knowledge than me. He told me he was going to replace the block and interior. Thanks to all who offered their advice and shared their experiences with similar problems.
Best of luck, and hope you get back on the water soon...

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE

Tags
350, block, cracked, engine, lt1