Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Cloaked Cloaked is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: MasterCraft
Location: Kingston,TN USA
Posts: 4,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyMC View Post
@cloaked:

I guess we all know how you would respond when someone asks if "does this make my a$$ big?"

You'll have to look in the mirror for your answer......

And to think, I previously used an emoticon for a reason.....

It's not about how I feel.....If I am wrong, then tell me how else you'd do this..... JB Weld?

Make it right the first time



__________________
93 190
.
Don't be a boot licker
.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

.

Last edited by Cloaked; 05-24-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-25-2012, 01:10 PM
wtrskr wtrskr is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Boat: '94 prostar 190
Location: Midwest
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostarski190 View Post
I'm so thankful for all the replies and great advice please keep it coming. This is a new purchase and just discovered the engine crack. It appears the previous owner has attempted some type of patch. I have no idea what the material is but I began scraping it off with flat head screwdriver and it flakes like gasket type material. I've posted some photos at

mailto:Prostarski.66496@uploads.photobucket.com

I still haven't figured out how to post them here as all of my posting is done from my iPhone. The boat is 96 Prostar 190 with LT1 and powerslot trans. I'm thinking about peeling off all the attempted patchwork and see what's under there. Then possibly patching with JB Weld and get it out on the water to see if the transmission is in good shape. The engine runs now and as far as I can tell there's no water in the oil. My major concern is if I do continue to run this engine I may do more damage to other parts of the engine. Should I just go find an engine block and build it with the parts of my current engine and not run it at all? What block will work in place of chevy 350 LT1? Please advise. Thanks
The first thing I'd do is take a brown paper bag full of poop, set it on the previous owners front porch, light it on fire, ring the doorbell and hope he stomps it out with his foot.

How long after your purchase did you notice the problem? Did the JB Weld work at first or was it a problem right away? I have no idea of the potential for success, but I'd look into whether you could somehow prove that the guy knew about the problem and misrepresented what he was selling. If he purposely sold away his problem, who knows, maybe you could get some money from him in a small claims court or something like that. There are a lot of assumptions in there but a cracked block materially changes the value of what you purchased.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-25-2012, 04:49 PM
d2jp's Avatar
d2jp d2jp is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
Location: VA/NC
Posts: 400
Was this a one owner boat? If so, they knew of the crack. It not, then it would be harder to prove that the seller knew of the issue,....but I'd have to believe they did.
Clearly the boat was neglected, based upon the pics - usually a case of "buyer beware". However if you got the boat for a really good deal, and if you plan on keeping it and enjoying it for years to come, even if you paid too much - it's a awesome boat and deserves to be repaired correctly. Do that, and you will recoup way more in terms of enjoyment and the boat will hold it's value surprisingly well. If you are bummed out, just go price a brand new mastercraft....you will feel better real quick!
__________________
Jack
-----------------------------------------
1989 ProStar 190 Power Slot
Somewhere between SML and LKG

Last edited by d2jp; 05-25-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-25-2012, 05:08 PM
1redTA's Avatar
1redTA 1redTA is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
Location: Pace, FL
Posts: 1,052
Lt1 blocks come in two varieties 4 bolt main (Corvette) or 2 bolt (camaro/firebird)

Both will work equally well with the 2 bolt being cheaper and easier to find
__________________
1981 MasterCraft
19' Skier 351W PowerSlot
Long gone is the Trans AM waiting for another
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Cloaked Cloaked is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: MasterCraft
Location: Kingston,TN USA
Posts: 4,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2jp View Post
Was this a one owner boat? If so, they clearly knew of the crack. It not, then it would be harder to prove that the seller knew of the issue,....but I'd have to believe they did.
Clearly the boat was neglected, based upon the pics - usually a case of "buyer beware". However if you got the boat for a really good deal, and if you plan on keeping it and enjoying it for years to come, even if you paid too much - it's a awesome boat and deserves to be repaired correctly. Do that, and you will recoup way more in terms of enjoyment and the boat will hold it's value surprisingly well. If you are bummed out, just go price a brand new master raft....you will feel better real quick!
Agreed.....After seeing the guy in the 1990 Restore thread ( http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=47157 ), there's never room for being bummed. He took a total wreck and has it back in good condition. An amazing venture for a rebuild.

From an old boat I re-did, here is JB in action.... first pic is JB in the red outline and JB leak in the blue outline. Second pic is further damage on the head where JB wouldn't work. The entire head was cracked all the way across. The Magnetic Particle test is shown in black area and the actual crack is shown in the blue area. That is green particle powder held in the crack from the MT (in between the black diamonds). My previous point is illustrated; where there is damage in one place, often times it extends to further areas of damage. This head cracked all the way across. JB sprang a leak after only 2 hours of engine operation, and these pics were the result. Both heads were replaced, the block surface was visual tested, MTed and PTed prior to putting on new heads.

.
Attached Images
  
__________________
93 190
.
Don't be a boot licker
.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

.

Last edited by Cloaked; 05-25-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-25-2012, 09:46 PM
ahhudgins's Avatar
ahhudgins ahhudgins is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,730
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
As I mentioned previously, I just purchased my first tube of JB Weld to fill some holes in my trick skis. My dremel tool cut through it like butter and it was pretty easy to file and sand it smooth. That being said, I would only use JB weld on an engine block in an emergency case to get me from point A to B. Then I would pull the engine and have it repaired or replaced.
__________________
“You realize your odds of winning the lottery are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day”….E-Trade Baby.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-25-2012, 10:01 PM
imracin68j imracin68j is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2010
Boat: 1988 mastercraft
Location: california
Posts: 130
That looks like your heads, not your block. Just yank the heads off and have redone.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-26-2012, 12:49 AM
Prostarski190's Avatar
Prostarski190 Prostarski190 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2012
Boat: 03 Prostar 197, 310 HP Predator w/ Powerslot
Location: South
Posts: 183
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtrskr View Post
The first thing I'd do is take a brown paper bag full of poop, set it on the previous owners front porch, light it on fire, ring the doorbell and hope he stomps it out with his foot.

How long after your purchase did you notice the problem? Did the JB Weld work at first or was it a problem right away? I have no idea of the potential for success, but I'd look into whether you could somehow prove that the guy knew about the problem and misrepresented what he was selling. If he purposely sold away his problem, who knows, maybe you could get some money from him in a small claims court or something like that. There are a lot of assumptions in there but a cracked block materially changes the value of what you purchased.
Wtrskr, I've had the boat a few weeks but just now discovered the cracked block. Like most boats this one has a story. It is a one owner boat, the previous owner spared no expense when he bought this 96 190 directly from the factory. It has all available options for that model year. The boat was well cared for and used only a few hours a year as it only has 300 hours. A few years back the owner died and his wife assumed ownership. Apparently she loaned it to her nephew and for a couple years he had it in Atlanta. Last year the widow and her new boyfriend went to Atlanta to get it, brought it back to Knoxville and took it out a few times last summer. After the summer the boat was taken to her unkles and apparently by the looks of it sat out all fall and winter. Supposedly the water was drained for winter. The widow and her new fiancé say they know nothing about a cracked block or the repair. And the nephew is in Afganstan. That's the story, and they're sticking to it.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-26-2012, 12:54 AM
Prostarski190's Avatar
Prostarski190 Prostarski190 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2012
Boat: 03 Prostar 197, 310 HP Predator w/ Powerslot
Location: South
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1redTA View Post
Lt1 blocks come in two varieties 4 bolt main (Corvette) or 2 bolt (camaro/firebird)

Both will work equally well with the 2 bolt being cheaper and easier to find
How much should I expect to spend on the block and where would be the best place to look? Can you buy the block alone or should I get the whole short block? Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-26-2012, 01:03 AM
Prostarski190's Avatar
Prostarski190 Prostarski190 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2012
Boat: 03 Prostar 197, 310 HP Predator w/ Powerslot
Location: South
Posts: 183
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2jp View Post
Was this a one owner boat? If so, they knew of the crack. It not, then it would be harder to prove that the seller knew of the issue,....but I'd have to believe they did.
Clearly the boat was neglected, based upon the pics - usually a case of "buyer beware". However if you got the boat for a really good deal, and if you plan on keeping it and enjoying it for years to come, even if you paid too much - it's a awesome boat and deserves to be repaired correctly. Do that, and you will recoup way more in terms of enjoyment and the boat will hold it's value surprisingly well. If you are bummed out, just go price a brand new mastercraft....you will feel better real quick!

Some people rescue animals. I rescue neglected MasteCrafts. It breaks my heart to see these awesome boats in such sad shape. I feel I got a good price, I felt I could replace the interior and engine and still make money if I sold it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
350, block, cracked, engine, lt1

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:56 PM.