Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-24-2012, 08:02 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 225, 1997, LT1
1997 LT1 starts rough, stalls then fires up perfectly?

I have a 1997 Maristar 225V with the Lt1 w aprox 600hrs. This is my 3rd year owning the boat and it has been absolutely flawless until late last fall. After a session on the river, the boat had sat at the dock for about 30 min after shutting down. Upon restarting to put it on the trailer, it ran very rough and surged in idle up to about 1600 rpm. I gave it some throttle in nuetral and it seemed like it just wouldnt take it and stalled. I refired the engine and it ran instantly perfect once again. This has never happened again until the past weekend.
Same scenario exactly. Engine was hot (160). Boat sat for 30 min or so, then upon restarting to put it on the trailer it ran rough and died. Turned the key to restart after stalling and it ran as perfect as ever.

Any thoughts or ideas on this? It almost seems like the feul is vapourizing or a sensor wasnt working for a moment but being completely EFI theres not much I can check when the problem only exists for 15 seconds or so.

Thanks in advance...
Brent
Old 05-24-2012, 08:49 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
have you replaced your fuel filters lately?

my LT-1 idled rough, replaced the IAC and idled fine
Old 05-24-2012, 09:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190 LT1
I have a 96 Prostar LT1. If you were in the deep south like me where it gets hot as Hades outside, I would say maybe vapor lock. If we run our boat hard for a while then let it sit baking in the sun with the motor box down, it will spit and sputter and die upon restart. I've had to put a rag over the fuel filter connection before the feul rail, unscrew it and a bunch of feul vapor will come out under pressure. I did this with the blower on and plenty of ventilation....and noone smokes around me. I let it sit for 5 minutes ventilating, then it runs like a champ.

I've learned to use my boat paddle and prop the box open for ventilation while we are off eating or whatever.

I doubt in the northeast that is your problem...and I'm no mechanic, just an engineer who likes to try to be. In the deep south of Alabama...it gets pretty warm :-)
Old 05-24-2012, 10:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-30
very similar sounding problems this past year in my 1997 5.7 TBI...Ended up being a filthy fuel tank. If you have not pulled that baby out and looked at it I would. replace the fuel filter a couple of times after you get that tank clean if that is the problem.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:40 AM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the replies guys. I should have mentioned I changed both fuel filters after the first time this happened. Probably only put 10 hrs on it since. Might be time to have a look inside that tank.
Odd thing is it starts perfectly and runs without even a sputter just after it stalls out from running so poorly. Almost like shutting off the key and turning it back on has reset something. (no engine light either)
I will look into the fuel tank this weekend and grab a new set of filters as well.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:42 AM
TT Newbie

I have read about testing and cleaning the AIC. Farmer Ted... where is the best place to get this part? and any hints for testing?
Old 05-24-2012, 06:54 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleydog View Post
I have read about testing and cleaning the AIC. Farmer Ted... where is the best place to get this part? and any hints for testing?
I had my boat in for a transmission leak and asked them to look at it, I'm pretty sure this is not a marine specific part and can be purchased at Autozone or Napa

now that I think about it, mine was idling low and often required a little throttle exercise to get it back to normal.

R2 the IAC and it was smooth sailing ever since, may or may not be your problem.

good luck
Old 05-24-2012, 11:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '96 Prostar 205 LT-1
IAC is idle air control valve?

In the auto world, they usually fail open and then give you trouble when it is cold outside by allowing in too much cold air in the engine at idle. Does it operate different in a boat?
Old 05-26-2012, 06:14 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft maristar 225 1993 Lt-1
Last year, upon start up on my lt-1 it would idle right around 1500 rpm and then settle down, i replaced the IAC on the throttle body and it solved the problem it was worn at the end.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:52 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethebt View Post
IAC is idle air control valve?

In the auto world, they usually fail open and then give you trouble when it is cold outside by allowing in too much cold air in the engine at idle. Does it operate different in a boat?
Same thing- these are car engines but it shouldn't idle rough if it fails- it should increase the idle speed, but that's about it (if it fails open).