Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-14-2012, 09:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-30
Transmission Warning Light On HELP

Went out for 3rd run this season, 2.5 hours in on a long run down river the transmission temperature warning light came on. I stopped and checked the fluid level and it was low but not empty. I looked around and saw fluid in the bilge and some on top of the housing.

I limped back to the ramp, let the boat cool a while I went to get the trailer. When I started the boat back up the light was off and stayed off while I loaded it up. Which took about 5 minutes total. The tranny fluid on the dipstick looked like a strawberry milkshake. I pulled the tranny cooler when I got home and it was corrosion and crack free, it was also free of debris.

My plan as of now is to pull and replace the fluid a couple of times and clean the tranny filter, and see if that fixes the problem. Here are my questions to you fine fellows:

1. Does the strawberry milkshake indicate water?

2. If so what are the likely reasons it got in there, I did get a lot of water in the bilge last year a time or 2 before I replaced the drive shaft seal.

3. Where is and how do I clean the tranny filter? Could not find it in my service manual

FYI 97 prostar 190 with a 5.7L
Old 05-14-2012, 10:20 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Frothy trans fluid milkshake is water intrusion for sure.

I would first check the trans heat exchanger/cooler for leaks. It's the most common way for water to get into the trans if the bilge has not filled with water. Just because the cooler looks crack free doesn't mean that it is. You will need to have it pressure tested to be sure it's good. Most any radiator shop can do this for you.

Given your description of what happened last year you could have very well had water suck into the trans through the lower seal.

If you trans is a velvet drive it most likely does not have a filter.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-30
Changed ATF twice. Checked cooler, free and clear no leaks. Took the boat out for a test run...cruising the river for about 20 minutes and the light came on. checked fluid, level ok, no water. Let it cool down, good to go after 3 minutes, running again and light comes on after about 5 minutes...

2 people have said it might be a bad temperature sensor????

any opinions on the matter?

Tags
transmission