Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-16-2012, 10:22 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger098 View Post
thanks alot- thats what i thought- i will keep looking for an engine. if anyone knows of a complete vortec 350 engine minus exhaust manifolds, let me know! i know i can get one online but they want alot of money (8k dollars) and dont need a brand new one.

i got the boat with salt water damage to the engine. it can be rebuilt, but i also need important parts like the ECM, intake manifold, starter (all parts are rusted beyond repair) and alternator so i figured i could buy a new motor for a similar price.
Salt damage in the midwest? The boat must be the x2 that was for sale out of new york awhile back. Is this the boat... http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=46958

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE

Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 05-16-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:42 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 mastercraft x2
yessir thats the boat... your good. i swear this is the boat heard around the country. when i pull it down the road people pull up next to me and ask me about it. people call from all over the country. little do they know, the motor is damn far from a rebuild as stated in the ad. she needs to be swapped.

anyone that has a near complete 350 vortec tbi for sale let me know!
Old 05-17-2012, 11:00 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 x-10 mcx
Saltwater damage=boat sank (or partially sank) and/or hydro locked with saltwater?
Old 05-17-2012, 11:08 AM
TT Regular

nope never sank... i think it maybe hydrolocked but the guy says it didn't....
Old 05-17-2012, 11:19 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Quote:
first post, and i have to thank you all for all the help you have given me so far- one question i cannot find an answer to though....

i need to know if a MPI engine can be put into my boat that currently has a TBI engine? it is for an 04 mastercraft x2 with a 350 indmar in it. from what i can tell everything will work except the wiring harness, that is what me and my mechanic do not know, and i do not want to buy a new harness (bill is getting purty darn big already!)

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Have a merc mag mpi in my x9. Anything can be done for $$$
Old 05-17-2012, 03:51 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger098 View Post
nope never sank... i think it maybe hydrolocked but the guy says it didn't....
That's easy enough to check. If the motor is intact, but bad internally, why not buy a short block and a new OEM intake manifold (it came with a good manifold- an aftermarket won't be better, really) and swap everything? That way, you don't have to question whether the ECM needs to be re-programmed, the motor is correct for the model of boat, etc? That kind of swap os pretty easy. It would be cheaper, too.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:16 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
That's easy enough to check. If the motor is intact, but bad internally, why not buy a short block and a new OEM intake manifold (it came with a good manifold- an aftermarket won't be better, really) and swap everything? That way, you don't have to question whether the ECM needs to be re-programmed, the motor is correct for the model of boat, etc? That kind of swap os pretty easy. It would be cheaper, too.
And to go along with Jim's line of thought...

You'd probably be better of with a short block or just a rebuild rather then swapping in a different motor, harness and ECM unless you repower it with something MC put in that boat in the first place. But I can't see a need to repower it.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
And to go along with Jim's line of thought...

You'd probably be better of with a short block or just a rebuild rather then swapping in a different motor, harness and ECM unless you repower it with something MC put in that boat in the first place. But I can't see a need to repower it.
Seems like the easiest, quickest, and cheapest thing to do.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:33 PM
TT Regular

taking the engine to wagoman brothers to see about rebuilding or getting me a long block to build and then i can put her together and drop it in. if i do i will be taking pics along the way and uploading them- could make for a nice writeup. thanks again to all who responded... ill keep you posted on what happens.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
Curious how you came out on this project, did the boat and underwater gear clean up very easy from the saltwater?