Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 05-05-2012, 07:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
Centering up on trailer

I'm having a little issue with the trailer that came with the boat. Obviously it's not a Mastercraft original but I think it's a decent one to get the job done. Anyway, the issue I'm having is it almost has to be lined up just right or it won't sit right on the bunks and causes the boat to rest at an angle. I have found that from the trailer guides, I almost need to have the boat come in 3 inches on each side to have it perfectly center.

So the two options that I'm thinking about are getting some really padded trailer guides in hopes of pushing it in on both sides or trying to add some self centering keel rollers. Problem is, I'm not even sure how the keel rollers would work or how they would attach to the trailer. What do you guys think? Here are the best pictures of the trailer that I have at the moment.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
I think you just need to adjust (or rework if there's no adjustment) the guide poles so that they don't allow for so much lateral movement.

Don't install keel rollers if the trailer is already designed without them. They're not exactly great for the keel gel coat.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 197TT #28 of 100
I was having this problem on my new trailer as well. I started putting the trailer in shallower (about 3" higher than before) and driving onto the trailer more and it cured my problem. I might be worth a shot to try.
2005 ProStar 197TT, #28 of 100

Broken Bow, OK vacation cabin for rent -
www.sipnskicabin.com
Old 05-06-2012, 09:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
Duly noted guys. I know it's going to take me a little more practice but I'll give the tips a try and not add keel rollers for now.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:35 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MasterCraft X2
The guides are just that, not intended to center the boat exactly. The bunks should do that. If the trailer is too deep, the bunks are not contacting the chines and centering the boat. I also think a little shallower may help. This is the first boat trailer I've had with guides like this. My other 5 did not but they were deep V boats......
2006 F150 SCrew Puller
http://www.crowniehq.net
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat.../OR/Albany.gif