Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2012, 10:32 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: None
Question X35 Or X30 for beginner wakesurfing?

I'm a total n00b, looking to decide between an x30 and x35. I've never wakesurfed, but I want to learn. the other equally important use for the boat will be cruising around and pulling little kids around innertubing. This is on lake washington, which is calm some days, choppy other days.

I already test-drove both, it's clear the x35 is a bit harder to maneuver. But how much better is it in moderately rough water? And which boat has a better wake for LEARNING wakesurfing (or is the difference in wakes irrelevant for novices)?
Old 04-30-2012, 11:51 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadip View Post
I'm a total n00b, looking to decide between an x30 and x35. I've never wakesurfed, but I want to learn. the other equally important use for the boat will be cruising around and pulling little kids around innertubing. This is on lake washington, which is calm some days, choppy other days.

I already test-drove both, it's clear the x35 is a bit harder to maneuver. But how much better is it in moderately rough water? And which boat has a better wake for LEARNING wakesurfing (or is the difference in wakes irrelevant for novices)?

There will be no real difference in learning to surf behind either boat. You will just not weight them for maximum surf wake until you get better at surfing.

IMHO: Go with whatever boat will give the best wave period. You'll progress fast enough that if you compromise now you'll be mad that you did later on.

I do not know how much difference there is in the hull of the boats from the 06 to 2012 model X30s, but I have been told this:

The current X35 was a better surf boat then the 06-10 X30. I have not surfed the X35 nor have a I set one up. Chase Hazen, the current world champ has an X35. As far as the 2012 X30 vs current X35s I don't think anyone has that answer yet.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:55 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 PS 190 w/ mini tower
Regardless of which generation of x-30, the X-35 will have better ruff water performance.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:26 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X45 - 8.1
Hey Hadip,

I would strongly recommend the X35 for LW and surfing. It is a heavier boat with more room on board for people and weight. Regardless of beging a beginner or an expert, you will want the boat with maximum versatility. Surfing is a great sport for virtually everyone.

We are also on LW and decided to go with the X45 to make sure we had a big heavy boat for those rough weekend days in the summer. Now that we have spent a few seasons with the boat, we regularly load it with additional ballast in the rear lockers. I think you will be very happy with the 35 (we strongly considered) and will be able to shape a great wake.

If interested in a great wakesurf board, drop us a line at Day1.

www.Day1Wake.com

BMcD
'06 8.1L X-45
Old 04-30-2012, 03:35 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MasterCraft X2
from Oregon..........
2006 F150 SCrew Puller
http://www.crowniehq.net
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat.../OR/Albany.gif
Old 05-01-2012, 03:03 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMcD View Post
Hey Hadip,

I would strongly recommend the X35 for LW and surfing. It is a heavier boat with more room on board for people and weight. Regardless of beging a beginner or an expert, you will want the boat with maximum versatility. Surfing is a great sport for virtually everyone.

We are also on LW and decided to go with the X45 to make sure we had a big heavy boat for those rough weekend days in the summer. Now that we have spent a few seasons with the boat, we regularly load it with additional ballast in the rear lockers. I think you will be very happy with the 35 (we strongly considered) and will be able to shape a great wake.

If interested in a great wakesurf board, drop us a line at Day1.

www.Day1Wake.com

BMcD
'06 8.1L X-45
BMcD, I understand the x35 has better rough water performance, but are you sure the difference is critical on Lake Washington? I live in a calmer bay, and while I'd lose the smooth ride in choppy water I'd gain easier maneuverability around other traffic if I want to take the kids out inner-tubing.

Does anybody know which has a better wave for learning surfing - brand new x35 or new x30? Or is the difference immaterial for beginners?
Old 05-01-2012, 03:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: supra comp
i think the new x30 has a better surf wake than the 35
Old 05-01-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonba1 View Post
i think the new x30 has a better surf wake than the 35
How do you know this? I've not seen a 2012 X30 setup for surfing with anything other then the factory ballast +400 lbs and at that it doesn't compare to the 35.

Truthfully, no one knows what the new 30 is capable of when talking about surfing.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadip View Post
BMcD, I understand the x35 has better rough water performance, but are you sure the difference is critical on Lake Washington? I live in a calmer bay, and while I'd lose the smooth ride in choppy water I'd gain easier maneuverability around other traffic if I want to take the kids out inner-tubing.

Does anybody know which has a better wave for learning surfing - brand new x35 or new x30? Or is the difference immaterial for beginners?
Did you skip over my post?
Old 05-01-2012, 05:16 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X45 - 8.1
Just my opinion, but I think the difference in true maneuverability is going to be negligible. Hopefully, you won't be contending with so much "traffic" when tubing that the 30 vs 45 will make a real difference. We have spent a decent amount of time tubing behind the 45 on Lake Washington and I have never wished I had better maneuverability.

Again, just my opinion, but I don't think you should buy based on a beginner vs advanced surf wake. The reality is that the better surf wake you have, the better you will be able to surf... regardless of how experienced you are. If you are going to be doing a lot of surfing, buy the boat with the best potential surf wake. I believe that is the X35 between the two you are considering.

BTW: since you are local to the Seattle area, talk to Darren the GM at the MC dealership in Issaquah. I know they have surfed behind the new X30 and can give you a true comparison. He's a good guy and will give you a very honest answer.

BMcD
www.Day1Wake.com

Last edited by BMcD; 05-01-2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Additional info

Tags
wakesurfing, x30, x35