Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 04-30-2012, 11:39 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
My first Marathon failed gracefully like the OP's. I replaced it but cheaped out and continued to run the other 3. The next one didn't go so gracefully and took out the rear of my fender plus my new LED tail light. When changing it on the side of the interstate I inadvertently punched the hot asphault when my jack handle came off and tore my knuckles up pretty bad. Moral of the story is replace 'em after about 5-6 years whether they look like they need it or not.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 ProStar 209
I tested my Marathon's in the garage tonight (pulling to the lake tomorrow night). From in the boat looking down they looked low, so I tested them. One was 54psi, the other 55psi (max). Should I add air for the 45 mile drive? Is it just me or should it have a tandem trailer for an 03 PS 209?
Old 05-10-2012, 08:56 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I put new Carlisles on my trailer last year - load range C - hauled the boat to Lake of the Woods Canada and back to Chicago... 50psi - stopped every 90 minutes...cuz someone had to pee or something then gas...etc...tires were perfect - same temp as van tires... a little warm but nothing major...good new quality tires, balanced, inflated right - drive right speed - no problems... old tires, under inflated - just asking for it. Friend of mine towed a 22 foot Rinker with old tires and old spare... 3 blow outs...
Old 05-10-2012, 09:04 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
After two sets of Marathons, I went with Maxxis.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:47 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast50dad View Post
I tested my Marathon's in the garage tonight (pulling to the lake tomorrow night). From in the boat looking down they looked low, so I tested them. One was 54psi, the other 55psi (max). Should I add air for the 45 mile drive? Is it just me or should it have a tandem trailer for an 03 PS 209?
Are they the original tires? If so, you are on borrowed time. I always suggest replacement after five years. There is never a reason to run trailer tires under the max tire pressure. As for a tandem trailer, plenty of boats run on single axle trailers without trouble.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 05-11-2012, 08:41 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Prostar 205; 1996 Sea-doo GTX
I have two new Carlisle's in the truck right now. I cought mine before the blowout.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
This is probably going to scare some of you to death, but I just had my trailer tires replaced (went with Maxxis based on some of your recommendations and that of my tire guy). He said that based on the date codes, the Goodyear Marathons I had were 19 years old! I know I've replaced a couple of them over the years due to tire failures, but apparently I replaced with someone's old stock. The scary thing is that they still looked really good; no cracking, even wear, and plenty of tread left. Still, I knew that I was riding on borrowed time, and that if one (or more) went out that it could do some serious damage. He said they were a bear to get off the rims, as the beads had gotten so hard that he had to seriously damage the old tires in the removal process.

I'll tell you something else he told me (FWIW). He said that of all the trailer tires he's ever sold, the Carlisles have been by far the worst. Many of them separated and destroyed fenders, lights, etc., and then the buyers came back to him complaining about them. He now refuses to sell or install them. Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, just telling you what I was told. They may have improved since then. He has no reason to steer me wrong; he doesn't stock any tires, he makes the same amount of profit on each set, and he knows that the only way to keep customers is by treating them right (he is a one-man, local shop).

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205, 275hp EFI -- Original Owner
Old 05-18-2012, 05:29 PM

I believe all tires are decent these days if used correctly. Litigation costs are far to high to even chance failure. Do tires fail...of course eventually. I took my Carlisles to Northwest Ontario - 800 miles each way. What really scares me is those little trailer tires on fishing boats that have 115-150HP motors on them...Run the correct pressure and don't run 'em more than 5 years. After 6 years the owner of the tire becomes liable for property and human damage.

Funny started looking at reviews on line for Carlisles, Maxxis etc...everyone has a complaint of some sort... We'll see what happens this year on my trip to Ontario. I know I will be keeping a close eye on them tires and the road of course>>>>

Last edited by mikeg205; 05-18-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:42 PM

okay found this at www.trailertires.com...to funny and on topic...
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2012, 04:40 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by captkidd View Post
This is probably going to scare some of you to death, but I just had my trailer tires replaced (went with Maxxis based on some of your recommendations and that of my tire guy). He said that based on the date codes, the Goodyear Marathons I had were 19 years old! I know I've replaced a couple of them over the years due to tire failures, but apparently I replaced with someone's old stock. The scary thing is that they still looked really good; no cracking, even wear, and plenty of tread left. Still, I knew that I was riding on borrowed time, and that if one (or more) went out that it could do some serious damage. He said they were a bear to get off the rims, as the beads had gotten so hard that he had to seriously damage the old tires in the removal process.

I'll tell you something else he told me (FWIW). He said that of all the trailer tires he's ever sold, the Carlisles have been by far the worst. Many of them separated and destroyed fenders, lights, etc., and then the buyers came back to him complaining about them. He now refuses to sell or install them. Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, just telling you what I was told. They may have improved since then. He has no reason to steer me wrong; he doesn't stock any tires, he makes the same amount of profit on each set, and he knows that the only way to keep customers is by treating them right (he is a one-man, local shop).
Ten or fifteen years ago, Carlisle trailer tire quality went way south for a hand-full of years. They have since recovered their original good quality.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com