Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-29-2012, 07:25 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorczak1 View Post
My shaft used to squeal and grind in the strut bearing.... so I to a close look and saw a bunch of scale. I poured CLR down the shaft strut bearing - CLR - doesn't react with plastic or rubber - and was ready with a quick rinse...a good rinse... Now I keep the shaft strut bearing moist with 303.

Mine turns nicely now...1 finger will do it...but dang..that prop has got a nice edge....
What are you talking about??

Do you spray down the shaft with 303 every time before you go out? You have to be joking!

There is NO reason this has to happen. There must be other issues that are causing the trouble.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:25 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Post some pic's......from different angles....
Old 04-29-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
What are you talking about??

Do you spray down the shaft with 303 every time before you go out? You have to be joking!

There is NO reason this has to happen. There must be other issues that are causing the trouble.
No...eash... when I put the boat away for the season its part of my winterization checklist.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:31 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorczak1 View Post
No...eash... when I put the boat away for the season its part of my winterization checklist.
What? The bearings are dense plastic, they will not soak up 303. It might be lubing the shaft for a few minutes but it's a waste.

Again, OP if you need to use two hands to break loose the prop and turn it, there is something else that is a issue here. Masking that issue with witch doctor type cures is not where you want to be, period.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
What? The bearings are dense plastic, they will not soak up 303. It might be lubing the shaft for a few minutes but it's a waste.

Again, OP if you need to use two hands to break loose the prop and turn it, there is something else that is a issue here. Masking that issue with witch doctor type cures is not where you want to be, period.
nitrile rubber is what mine is made up of... not the new vesconite kind......but agree there is something else wrong.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:50 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Is it possible that the shaft packing is too tight.

I would take off the packing cap and try to spin the shaft. Heck it's a cheap replacment anyway. Pull the packing rope out of the log and try to spin the shaft. If it is still in a bind then remove the shaft and see if it is bent.

I'm willing to bet that the alignment is not the problem. If the packing is removed the shaft should have several inches of play up down side to side. If the shaft is still hard to turn it will be either bent or something is wrong with the strut or berrings. Remove packing from log and report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 04-29-2012, 07:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
If the shaft is corroded of you remove it and not bent then get some Emory cloth and clean it up. Make sure shaft and strut are not bent a hair. It won't take much to make everything out of wack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

Last edited by Kyle; 04-29-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Is it possible that the shaft packing is too tight.

I would take off the packing cap and try to spin the shaft. Heck it's a cheap replacment anyway. Pull the packing rope out of the log and try to spin the shaft. If it is still in a bind then remove the shaft and see if it is bent.

I'm willing to bet that the alignment is not the problem. If the packing is removed the shaft should have several inches of play up down side to side. If the shaft is still hard to turn it will be either bent or something is wrong with the strut or berrings. Remove packing from log and report back.
^^+1.....................
Old 04-29-2012, 08:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 88 Prostar 190 & 2006 Chaparral Sunesta 232
im going to pull the shaft and check to see what the deal is...the packing is leaking more than it should so that is getting replaced. im also going to replace the shaft log hose while i am it..it looks worn and actually not the proper type of hose..very soft and flexing more than it should. im thinking the shaft is ok as i get no vibration at any speed but i will have it checked out. i will shoot some pictures tomorrow and post them so some more experienced eyes than mine can look things over. overall, the DD is a pretty simple setup so im hopeful that we can get it sorted out properly in short order...its painfully obvious that something is tight as hell between the prop and the shaft coupler...looking at the bright side it can only be the shaft, the strut, the strut bearing or the packing..right??
Old 04-29-2012, 08:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 88 Prostar 190 & 2006 Chaparral Sunesta 232
oh...i forgot the most important thing....THANKS to all of you for taking the time to jump in here and help..i hope to be able to return the favor some day.