Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 04-24-2012, 10:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: supra comp
its looking really good
Old 04-24-2012, 11:10 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheckski View Post
I am one of the unfortunates who purchased a mastercraft with the really awful upholstery. Mastercraft felt guilty enough to send me new skins but these also did not last as expected. I am now faced with recovering the entire boat and would like to do it once and do it right. if possible I would like the new mastercraft fabric. Does anyone know if mastercraft is making this available to their legacy customers and/or if it ( or similar ) is available aftermarket? Also, i gather mastercraft n longer makes these skins. Does anyone know if they are making the drawings available?

Thanks for any and all guidance.
It's not Mastercraft material- they buy it from a supplier, just like everyone else and that's why all of the manufacturers whose customers had to suffer with the bad material were in the same position.

Contact MC and find out who makes it, then spec it through the upholsterer.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 205v ltr
Yes. I understand MC buys it and in fact I sourced it through my upholsterer ( Viper customs). They do advise however that the Silvertec is only available via MC. With respect to all "manufacturers suffering" from the same materials, I am somewhat unsympathetic. These are premium boats at a premium price. We essentially pay the manufacturers to vet their subs for quality. My fabric did not last 2 seasons without showing issues. I then was given new ( horizontal ) skins but had to pay to have them installed. The new skins never fit like factory originals and then also quickly developed issues. Stuff can happen but at this level of boat and expectations, I think buyers were entitled to a higher level of support for a defective product. My .02 .At this point I am just thrilled at the prospect of having a restored interior that I think I can be confident in. Crossing my fingers but cautiously optimistic.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 PS 190, 02 Wakesetter VLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
It's not Mastercraft material- they buy it from a supplier, just like everyone else and that's why all of the manufacturers whose customers had to suffer with the bad material were in the same position.

Contact MC and find out who makes it, then spec it through the upholsterer.
I would argue this fact also, as I do not believe Malibu or Nautique upholstery suffered at all compared to MC, at least based on my own 2000 Malibu, and various 2000-2003 Malibus and Nautiques that my friends own, all of which have near perfect vinyl still.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:35 PM
MC Addict

Boat: Barefoot 200 MasterCraft 1993 ProV200 Outboard
Sheckski,

Curious to know what roughly were your final costs for re-upholstery?
Old 04-24-2012, 02:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

For cost info please contact Jim Jackson at Viper customs at 865 388 4096 . The were extreamly reasonable with me. So far very satisfied. I will update once everything is shipped and installed as we still have a long way to go.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

ok. They are all done and so far look outstanding. I am attaching some select pics. They are still in TN but i hope to have them in time for the re install this weekend. Completed pictures will be posted next.Kudos to Viper in TN

Last edited by sheckski; 05-08-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Wow, can't wait to see it installed! Looks very nice......

And I totally understand your frustration on the material durability on your original interior. All I can say is that it definitely had an impact on selecting a new boat for my sister-in-law last year. I had major concerns that she would most likely have to deal with the interior in the next few years. For this reason, she bought a Cobalt of the same era (1999).

I'm much more confident (and it shows) in my 94' interior vs the 2000 interior. Mine is still going strong.

1994 205, LT1

Last edited by Ski-me; 05-08-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: supra comp
I happened to be out at viper yesterday and saw your interior it looks amazing , great choice in colors
Old 05-08-2012, 11:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '01 X-9
Would love to see the completed pictures. That carbon fiber material looks trick.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2