Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-20-2012, 12:03 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Oxidation Removal

Figured I would post up a couple of photos of yet another boat that I was able to bring back using my buffing method. The transom on this boat was really badly oxidized. Sides were just badly waters spotted.

The "how do I remove oxidation from my boat?" Gets asked a lot. I'll recap my method.

-3M Super Duty Compound on a Circular Polisher with a Wool Pad
-3M Finesse It II Polishing Compound on a Circular Polisher with an Orange Foam Pad
- Meguires Polish (Step 2 of their 3 step system) with an Orbital and a White Foam Pad
-Meguires Carnuba Wax with an Orbital and a Red Foam Pad

I use a Makita B06040 machine which has both circular and random orbit modes. If you don't use a circular polisher with a high quality wool pad you will not get enough cut to get the oxidation off. If it is bad like this one was you may have to compound with the super duty more than once. If the finish is waxed regularly the oxidation wont come back.
Attached Images

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Last edited by BrianM; 04-20-2012 at 12:17 PM.