Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 04-15-2012, 04:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X2
No power to dash

2004 X10 - MCX350

I recently had an issue the boat sounded a quick 1 beep alarm and shut down everything bu the bilge pump.

here is what happened:

I had "just" changed the oil and filter and de-winterized the boat.
I pulled the intake hose from the bottom of the boat and installed the garden hose into it.
turned water on and fired up boat, like have done many time before to warm up engine and to check for leaks and all that good stuff.

I heard a 1 beep alarm and boat shut down. No power to dash, key was still in the on position. The only thing running was the bilge pump due to the garden hose water filling up boat.
I turned key on and off...nothing. pulled kill switch and plugged it back in....nothing. Turned perko switch to off, to 1 battery to 2 battery, back to all....nothing.

Stood there for a bout 15-20 seconds and all of a sudden....full dash power, key on and fuel pump charging back up again ready for use......strange.

So I went back to lake this weekend to see if I could replicate the problem, and did the following to see if it would result in a "no dash power/no key":

1. Pulled kill switch - when I do this, i still have dash power, boat will crank but no fuel gauge and no fuel pump. So, obviously working like it should be....eliminated that as a problem.
2. Pulled Fuel pump relay switch...still had dash power
3. Pulled ECM relay switch...still had dash power
4. Pulled starter relay switch....still had dash power.

The only time I can replicate the problem is by turning the perko switch to off. So my question is, why would the boat shut down all by itself while the boat was running with the perko switch to "all".

Questions:
Did the boat sense low oil pressure due to the recent oil change and shut down boat?
Is the perko switch going bad?
If after started, will the boat run if I switch the perko switch to off?

If the boat did do a self shut down...is it on some type of timer before it resets itself?

thanks in advance
1993 ProStar 190 Star & Stripes - Sold
Old 04-15-2012, 07:27 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I would try by passing the perko switch first....could be corrosion in the switch....just a thought....should not have low oil pressure from oil change...to trip engine sensor. bet any money the switch is going bad... how old is switch?
Old 04-16-2012, 06:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

probably as old as the boat.

I guess what I need to do to see if the dash/boat dies when i switch the perko switch to off. My guess is the boat will continue to run from the alternator and that it only needs battery power to start...therefore eliminating the perko switch as the culprit...may be wrong.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:45 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 1999 Maristar 230 sport
Not a good idea to turn off perko when engine is running with a fuel injected engine. The ECM needs to have the battery connected or it may be damaged. I could be wrong but I would look at the circuit breaker back in the engine compartment for a loose connector or something there.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

I will follow the ground from the batteries to where is it connected to the block and see if there is a connection issue. I my replace the switch anyway.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:57 PM
MC Master Poster

Did you look for a circuit breaker near the plug where the engine connects to the boat harness?

Do you have a test light? If not, I would recommend getting one so you can follow the power to the point where it stops.

A Perko switch should be able to last a long time- it's made for the marine environment, after all.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Brand new 01 X10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Did you look for a circuit breaker near the plug where the engine connects to the boat harness?
This very same scenario happened to me once. After resetting the breaker at the harness, she fired right up and hasnt skipped a beat ever since.....
Old 04-16-2012, 09:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

I did not reset anything. Everything came back on by itself.