Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 03-21-2012, 09:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
Easy fix?

Sorry about all the threads lately but I'm really trying to find the right boat before the summer and you guys have been a lot of help. That being said, how hard do you think it would be to fix the gelcoat around the damaged area in the picture? This is right around the hinges of the sundeck and there seems to be some stress cracking, but i'm not sure if this is fairly common for a 12 year old boat. Further, even if I got it fixed, how could I prevent it from cracking again? I'll hang up and listen

Old 03-21-2012, 09:18 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
12 years old..this is a small hobby...
Old 03-21-2012, 09:22 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Minor, you could 3M 4400 that for the time being.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Minor, you could 3M 4400 that for the time being.

Does the cracking not alarm you at all?
Old 03-21-2012, 09:52 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogwild View Post
Does the cracking not alarm you at all?
Not me. The spider cracks happen a lot to older boats.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:36 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
in that particular spot i wouldn't get excited. in other spots i'd be concerned. my boat has a similar but not as bad issue around the starboard hinge for the sun pad. my guess on mine is that the gas shock was shot and folks just had to force open the sun pad manually. that extra force probably caused the hinge bolt to loosen up and allow the hinge to rotate back into the gelcoat which caused the gouge. my sun pad is currently off for reskinning, however, my plan for a fix is to replace the shocks (done) and to tighten up the hardware and use my basic gelcoat repair kit from bass pro to touch up the gouge. i'm not worried about further stress cracking because that hinge really only seems to be under stress when the sun pad is up. when it's down, it rests on metal cross supports so the hinges don't really seem to carry any weight during normal use which should hopefully alleviate any further cracking.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks all
Old 01-09-2013, 01:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Well I decided to have the gelcoat fixed this winter and it looks really good, but my question remains on how to prevent this from happening again? I thought about using something like clear furniture bumpers, but nothing seems to want to stick to the gelcoat. Next I thought about some clear marine adhesive like this http://compare.ebay.com/like/2809380...Types&var=sbar, but it is too permanent and I want the ability to remove it if the next buyer doesn't like what I've done.

What do you guys think about just putting some clear silicone back there? Do you think it will stick? Any other ideas?
Old 01-09-2013, 03:04 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
The gel probably has a fair amount of wax on it depending how it was repair. IMO the only thing to minimize the re-occurrence is to take some of the load off the screws. Did your sundeck flip all the back to cause the chipping in the gelcoat?
Old 01-09-2013, 03:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, LTR330,powerslot,PP,heater
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
The gel probably has a fair amount of wax on it depending how it was repair. IMO the only thing to minimize the re-occurrence is to take some of the load off the screws. Did your sundeck flip all the back to cause the chipping in the gelcoat?
In the first picture posted it looks as if the hinge rotated more than 90 degrees to make that contact. As mike said. Are your gas struts not connected or wrong length? Hinges loose on the sundeck. Has the previous repair been too bulky and intruded on the relief for the hinge? Maybe open it up and take a photo.