Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2012, 06:19 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 LT1 PowerSlot
Working on LT1 engine swap

I'm working on swapping my LT1 engine with a cracked cylinder wall. I have the engine stripped down to the block and the replacement engine sitting in my back yard right now. I'm not sure if I want to build a platform to raise my engine hoist up of if I should borrow my neighbors pickup truck and lift from the bed (I'm sure I'll get hell for even having that idea).

I have a few questions at this point...does anybody know if there is any gasket or seal between the engine and transmission that will need to be replaced when connecting the powerslot trans to the new engine? Aside from cleaning the bilge out while the engine is out, is there anything else that is recommended? I've read about repacking the shaft stuffing, I'm not sure if it is necessary or not, since I haven't ever had the boat in the water and don't know the drip rate.

On the Northstar distributor, I have a pretty badly rusted spark plug wire connector (I don't know what it's called, so I'll attach pictures). The best solution seems to be to replace the individual coil, the question is will there be any issues with having one new coil and 3 originals from 1995? The replacement coil looks to be part number "DEM GN10123" which I can order from Napa or Autozone...I just want to make sure I get this boat running the best it can.

It also seems like the aluminum honeycomb panel aft of the engine needs to be replaced as well, it is pretty spongy, or at least not firm anymore. Is replacing it with marine grade plywood coated with fiberglass resin the way to go, or should I attempt to find more aluminum honeycomb?

Thanks for any advice.

Dan
Attached Images

Last edited by 95_190_PS_PS; 03-20-2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Poor grammar :)

Tags
distributors, engine swap, lt-1, powerslot, prostar 190