Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 03-18-2012, 08:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Wrong boat to be wake surfing behind.
Really... Totally not true, we surfed even with stock, better with sacks and people. My set up '09, stock + 400# rears and a 350# center. X2 will perfom well with 40% front & 60% rear weight distribution. For surfing, load your surf side, no center tab. The X2 is so terrible, you can surf with 2 people...lol The last 2 pics are wakeboarding, not me but I have seen guys do the same stuff behind my boat as Stars loaded etc.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2012, 09:03 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Wrong boat to be wake surfing behind.
Someone wee wee in your Cheerios? Wow, anyway buy a x2 surf sac from wakemakers for surfside rear locker, 370 lb tube sac on seat, all stock ballast full with maybe 200 lb lead or fat brick in bow. Very surf able.
1996 Bayliner 2050
Old 03-18-2012, 09:15 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidstan View Post
Someone wee wee in your Cheerios? Wow, anyway buy a x2 surf sac from wakemakers for surfside rear locker, 370 lb tube sac on seat, all stock ballast full with maybe 200 lb lead or fat brick in bow. Very surf able.
No, I'm just giving some honest feedback.

Every X2 I've seen has a very small pocket. The best I've seen so far was pettee77's and he had it so grossly over weighted it was dangerous. Using lead as weight is a bad idea as well.

You can surf behind anything, just about. I'm just saying there are better choices if surfing is your goal.

Photos of waves are very deceptive. I've got photos that look like the surfer is 35 feet behind my boat when he's only 10.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:34 AM
MC Devotee

My boat does not need to be overloaded to surf, I am sure there are other boats that mak a bigger wave. (25,30,55) The origianl question was about an X2... this is the boat he has. My son, a fantastic surfer, surfed behind a 25 last summer and the boat was not set up correctly and said, Dad, please don't ever buy the 25, surf wave is total junk. I surfed a 25 also last summer, total stock and set up correctly and would say the wave is taller, but the pocket no better than my 2. Point is, setting up the boat is crucial regardless.

First pic - 4 people in the boat, Port Full, 400# port sac full, KGB full, 350# center full

Second pic - Same as above except no 350# center, wave/pocket is shorter

Third Pic - Same as 2, only 3 people in the boat
Old 03-18-2012, 10:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X2
My '06 X2 surfs well enough with factory ballast for my wife to ride sans rope (on the goofy side), but was not enough for my 250 lbs to stay in the pocket on the port side. For Christmas my awesome wife got us the X2 package piggy back setup from wakemakers. The set comes with a 455# bag for each locker and one u-shaped 750# bow bag that fits under the seats in the bow. I can't wait to get the boat out of the barn and get it on the water with all the new weight. We should splash her in a couple of weeks right after Easter. I will try to get some good pics and report back how the wave looks on each side.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: looking to buy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand2snow22 View Post
Jeesh, forgive me. I didn't know I was being so cruel. Yes, I could have rephrased the ? better.

After post #3 in this thread:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=46185

It's a simple sarcastic question for him:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=46214
mods removed is post in that thread.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X2
Agreed ballasting with lead is a bad idea however if you keep it to 200-250 no worries as you would still be in swamping range instead of bottom of lake range. 1000 lbs of lead would be bad indeed.
1996 Bayliner 2050
Old 03-19-2012, 05:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
I was there for Mattscraft's photo #1, and Reid (the surfer) was every bit as far back as it looks.
Photos 2 and 3 were actually taken from my boat. And it's every bit as big as it looks (can I throw in a that's what she said?)
IMO its all about the setup, but the X2 throws a great surf wake when you weigh it right.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:00 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
I was there for Mattscraft's photo #1, and Reid (the surfer) was every bit as far back as it looks.
Photos 2 and 3 were actually taken from my boat. And it's every bit as big as it looks (can I throw in a that's what she said?)
IMO its all about the setup, but the X2 throws a great surf wake when you weigh it right.
Uhh... You were there for pics 4 &5 too. Miss you buddy, your storm story reminds me of the 275 bridge days holding out for the storm to pass on the Licking, fun times!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:08 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
Well #4 speaks for itself, nobodies got a head of hair on them like that but me (except for maybe Richard Simmons) and #5 I don't quite remember. I think I may have been distracted that day

Miss ya up here too man, should get up here soon and do some skiing with 93prostar190 and me.

Tags
ballast setup, surf tabs, surfing, wakeboarding, x-2