Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 01-10-2012, 08:04 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 6.0 L
Dash gauges not working, 2002 197

Has there been any common problem causing gauge issues on boats in this age range?
Went about 1-1/2 years where a couple of the gauges did not work when powering up with the key. Often, I could turn engine off, crank again, and evererything worked.

Now, all 4 gauges (oil, water, tach, voltage) do not work. They are not dead, they read bad readings as if the voltage supply is incorrect. I realize this is a track it down job, butwas hoping someone might have knowledge of a certain connection known to go bad or something along those lines.
This problem has been since mid summer. At Thanksgiving the Perfect Pass gave aabopaut 4 passes in about 10 sets where it accelerated pretty hard in the middle of a pass (throttle had to be pulled back manually) which I feel could be a voltage supply issue as well or a completely different problem.

A wiring diagram would be good as well. Don't think one came with the manual. My 1986 had one in the manual.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I had a 03 X1 with gauge problems. Grounding was the issue back then. Real PITA. Also had issues with the perfect Pass not always working when I started the boat. Called Perfect Pass and they sent a card to plug into the control module to filter out noise they said was causing problems on the data bus which is the sense lines that go to all the gauges. I was told at the time this also effected the operation of the gauges.

Lastly I was told that some dealers had a tool that could trouble shoot all the above mentioned problems. I personally never got that far before selling the boat. When I sold it I had picked off 95% of the problems but never did get it perfect. If I had kept it my plan was going to be to run a new much larger ground directly from the engine block to the ground blocks behind the dash.

Last edited by bturner2; 02-01-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:37 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 TT
had the same issue on my 2002 PS197. It was my MDC. I bought an extra one if you end up needing a new one.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:14 PM
TT Regular

sorry, what is MDC?
Old 01-31-2012, 06:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 197 ProStar 2002
maybe: MMDC: Multiple Module Data Computer. I replaced this when the gages on my 2002 197ProStar didn't work.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:52 PM
TT Regular

should have asked 1st time, but how much do you want for it?
you said you had an extra.

Not trying to nickel and dime you.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star 330 HP
Send a message via Yahoo to rem_pss308
I dont know about your 2002. but on my 1999 the MMDC box gets a speedo reading from the two pitot tubes at the back of the boat.

If not winterized properly the water in the tubes will freeze. then when you put it in the water. the MMDC box will get water into it. and will cause the gauges to go crazy.

I have perfect pass with the paddle wheel so now I just leave the pitot tubes unhooked so no water is going to the MMDC box.

hope this helps.

1999 X-star, 330 LTR, Zero FLex tower.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: current 02 X7 / 197, past 98 PS 190
I have a 02 X7 (197) and I had my gauges stop working this past summer after a rain storm. then when I went to crank, got the red light on dash. Gauges read low, or not at all. I read and read on these forums. Read about other users who found the key ignition was installed upside down in 2002 (possibly other years). Can't remember if if the proper way for key is notches up or down. But the way you can tell is look under dash at the back of the ignition module, you are looking for drain holes at the bottom, if none, take the panel off and flip the ign over.

with the drain holes in bottom, moisture can drain out. (proper way)
with drain holes in top, water goes in and gets trapped, potentially causing a short or false start. (incorrect way)

I found my ign module was upside down. I flipped it. This fixed my problem. May or may not help you. Thanks.

Tags
gauges don't work