Old 12-28-2011, 02:47 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 Prostar 190
Here's our holiday meal.
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2012, 02:01 PM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
I just joined the club this weekend. Funny story, I was heading out to the Egg store just to "look" at their offerings. While on my way out, my wife came home from getting her oil changed. She told me that she went into the store next door while waiting for her oil change and she was looking at these "Green Egg" grills and thought maybe we should get one. We didn't plan this or talk about it before at all. Just a coincidence. So, instead of just looking, I went and bought one.

Had fresh grilled grouper filets Saturday night, and seared some steaks last night (with mesquite chips) using the recipe that came with the grill. Both excellent. I should have bought one of these years ago. Now I'm going to re-read this thread to learn all you guys' secrets. Next purchase will definitely be a plate setter.

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 02-13-2012, 02:42 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
I just joined the club this weekend. Funny story, I was heading out to the Egg store just to "look" at their offerings. While on my way out, my wife came home from getting her oil changed. She told me that she went into the store next door while waiting for her oil change and she was looking at these "Green Egg" grills and thought maybe we should get one. We didn't plan this or talk about it before at all. Just a coincidence. So, instead of just looking, I went and bought one.

Had fresh grilled grouper filets Saturday night, and seared some steaks last night (with mesquite chips) using the recipe that came with the grill. Both excellent. I should have bought one of these years ago. Now I'm going to re-read this thread to learn all you guys' secrets. Next purchase will definitely be a plate setter.
Welcome aboard...You will never go back!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 02-13-2012, 02:47 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Welcome aboard...You will never go back!
I'm thinking you're right!

Former boats:
1990 Prostar 190
Old 02-13-2012, 03:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd View Post

Get you some cedar planks and grill up some fresh salmon. We also do salmon and eggs on the EGG. Add cheese and a homemade artichoke sauce and serve on a croissant. This recipe is in the Big Green Egg cookbook which is well worth the price. Good Luck.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '92 Maristar 240SC BB 454
Send a message via Skype™ to psychobilly
Cedar plank fish IS THE TICKET!!!! I have several fence slats and I use the heck out of them!!!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:40 PM
MC Addict

I used a cedar plank when I grilled the grouper. The grouper was super fresh, just came off the boat that morning. But, it's probably not the best fish for cedar planking. It came out nice, but it will be salmon next time I use the cedar.

I think I'm going to grill some chipotle burgers over mesquite on Wednesday.

Former boats:
1990 Prostar 190
Old 02-13-2012, 07:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

We do grouper straight on the grill. Get you that plate setter and you will use it 90% of the time. It provides more heat mass, keeps the cook more even, and you will find the results to be more moist. I live on a lake, so lots of summer guests to feed. Favorites include steak, Boston butts - for pulled pork, also do pulled beef, pizza, oysters, chicken, turkey, hams, oysters, all fish, bake pies and full breakfast, chilli and on and on.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '94 Prostar 205
Doing 4 beer butt chickens on my XL Green Egg right now ... it is awesome!!!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:32 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Putting on some chicken breasts as we drink!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :