Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 02-03-2012, 01:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Pro Star 205, 1995, 350 V8
What buffer to purchase

Hi All,

I've seen the threads with restoring some MCs and really like the improvement made to the boats. I've got a 95 Prostar 205 that's mainly white and I wax it probably twice a year. During the summer, it stays on a lift w/ a canopy and after every weekend I wipe it down with Babes boat bright.

My question at this point is that I'd like to buff it this spring to get rid of minor oxidation and revitalize it a bit. Would the 3M imperial compound/finessing would best? I see how the majority use the 3M products. My other question is what buffer is the best to use? My guess is the cheaper may not be the better here, but admit to being ignorant on this issue.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Jimmy
Old 02-03-2012, 02:01 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
If you are going to be doing any type of compounding you really need something more than just a random orbit machine. I have a Makita B06040 which is a random orbit but also has a forced circular mode. The circular mode still has a bit of jiggle to it so it is more forgiving than a true circular. If you are just looking for a machine to polish you cant beat the Porter Cable 7424. Neither machine is cheap. The Makita is substantially more.

Look at my restoration thread here http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ht=restoration for what I use. Many others here have used the same technique with great results.

This exact topic gets asked here a LOT. Do a search for tons of reading. I'll get you started.

https://www.google.com/search?q=buffers+site%3Awww.mastercraft.com%2Fteam talk&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a

https://www.google.com/search?q=gel+...ient=firefox-a

https://www.google.com/search?q=gel+...w=1204&bih=648

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Last edited by BrianM; 02-03-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:21 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
When I polished my boat, I was too cheap to buy one of the better polishers around and went to Harbor Freight and got their polisher. The darn thing worked great with no problems. When I started the project, I also knew nothing about what I was doing and was hesitant to invest too much money in case it didn't work out. In hindsight, just about anyone can do this and I would have purchased one of the better machines as I am likely to be doing this again.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-...der-92623.html

The more important part is to get good wool buffing bonnets and wash them often.

SPECIAL ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 02-03-2012, 02:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I second the Porter Cable. I've owned one for about 5 years and use the heck out of it. Hard to believe it still works like the day I bought it. If you do decide to buy one I'd recommend getting the one with the longer cord and also taking them up on the bundled pad offer. The only real complaint I have about this system is the cost of the pads but in all fairness they will last quite a long time if you take care of them and wash them.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:35 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
I second the Porter Cable. I've owned one for about 5 years and use the heck out of it. Hard to believe it still works like the day I bought it. If you do decide to buy one I'd recommend getting the one with the longer cord and also taking them up on the bundled pad offer. The only real complaint I have about this system is the cost of the pads but in all fairness they will last quite a long time if you take care of them and wash them.
Dittos on the longer cord. Having a shorter cord on my cheaper polisher drove me crazy from always catching on the trailer or the tire.

SPECIAL ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 02-03-2012, 03:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 MASTERCRAFT PRO STAR 190
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260828850991...84.m1497.l2649

I JUST ORDERED THIS ONE...$219 WITH ALL THE EXTRAS

JAY
Old 02-06-2012, 02:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 197 TT
Stupid question maybe...why use a buffer/orbital/rotary whatever? I guess if your boat is oxidized or trashed a buffer maybe needed.

Should we all have a buffer? doe it help apply polish? Well...I guess it does but is ther an advantage. I polish my boat a few times a year with Starbrite with PTEF but i just use a pad to put on and a microfiber to take off. I then use a spray on wax, Rat Juice, every weekend.

Should I be using a machine to polish? I have enough trouble climbing under the boat on a roller boat to polish and wax, I cannot imagine dealing with a machine and a cord that will get hooked on something as soon as I get under my boat.

If the weather holds this weekend I was planning on polishing inside and out this weekend and vacuuming all the carpets, etc. Just did my truck with Zymol today by hand.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:41 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntidsl View Post
Stupid question maybe...why use a buffer/orbital/rotary whatever? I guess if your boat is oxidized or trashed a buffer maybe needed.

Should we all have a buffer? doe it help apply polish? Well...I guess it does but is ther an advantage. I polish my boat a few times a year with Starbrite with PTEF but i just use a pad to put on and a microfiber to take off. I then use a spray on wax, Rat Juice, every weekend.

Should I be using a machine to polish? I have enough trouble climbing under the boat on a roller boat to polish and wax, I cannot imagine dealing with a machine and a cord that will get hooked on something as soon as I get under my boat.

If the weather holds this weekend I was planning on polishing inside and out this weekend and vacuuming all the carpets, etc. Just did my truck with Zymol today by hand.
I only use mine on the boat once a year to do a clean, polish, wax process. Besides that I do just like you do.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 02-06-2012, 05:23 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
You don't have to have a polisher, but it does make the job easier and I swear that the more you use it, the better your stuff looks. Even with a finishing pad and straight wax, it seems to polish and give you a higher sheen than doing it by hand. Could just be my imagination, though. I will say, my Porter Cable 7424 is probably the most frequently used and borrowed tool that I own.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: current 02 X7 / 197, past 98 PS 190
I bought one of the Harbor Freight large buffer on sale for about 35 or 40 bucks. I think its a 7 inch wheel. It works fine for me, I only use once per year or so.
Like the others said, get a high quality wool bonnet / pad, will be around 30 to 40 bucks.
I have a friend who does details on the side and he uses a harbor freight buffer. However, I think he is on his second one. He details mostly 20 ft to 24 ft wake boats, but he also buffed a 35 ft cruiser last year too.... he says the buffer from HF is fine.
One note, we both prefer the buffer with the straight to the side handle. not the small wrap around loop handle.
My friend who details taught me how to buff. its not difficult, just takes some time to learn the finesse and feel. main tip is don't press too hard, and start at a lower speed RPM.
good luck.