Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 11-19-2011, 04:37 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbergh View Post
Removed starboard exhaust and black polymer flange to replace flange with matching SS flange already done on port side.

Of course upon inspection the 3" x 3' exhaust hose is collapsing internally despite looking ok on the outside.

Also noted I should replace 3/8" fuel supply line just for the sake of being thorough.

Thank goodness for skidim.

Love my boat. But it's a tar baby for now.
Yeah same here Lumbergh... I will probably pull my all my fuel filters and even clean out the gas tank this spring... My boat runs great so I will try to talk myself out of it....but my OCD for my MC will probably get the best of me and I will do it...
Old 11-19-2011, 06:39 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Now the fun part.. Sanding and scraping / cleaning the manifold surface from the old gasket...

I tell ya', I was stumped as to my cooling issue and when I found the bad hose, I was very happy to have found the problem. Glad you took a look. I'd almost have to replace the hoses at this point since you have the risers off.... It's very easy from this point.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 11-19-2011, 06:42 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Removed starboard exhaust and black polymer flange to replace flange with matching SS flange already done on port side.

Of course upon inspection the 3" x 3' exhaust hose is collapsing internally despite looking ok on the outside.

Also noted I should replace 3/8" fuel supply line just for the sake of being thorough.

Thank goodness for skidim.

Love my boat. But it's a tar baby for now.
Excellent that you found the hose before it became a nagging issue. I have a 93 model now and will be replacing the hoses just to rebaseline the hoses as being good to go for another few years.

Skidim is the best place to do business when it comes to knowledge, patience, and support. Those guys are top notch....

Quote:
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

Old 11-19-2011, 07:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
@ mgorczak1:

The bad hose was the muffler to exhaust flange hose (3" x 3'). So to truly satisfy your OCD, your gonna have to pull floor panel behind the engine dog house and undo the 4 hose camps (each side and pull hoses).

Think of it as an opportunity to clean the aft bilge, lube your rudder assembly, and inspect the aft portion of the blower hose.

I found the battery terminal covers back there while I was working, slid them back up onto battery. Also rerouted the shower hose up against the hull instead of against the muffler.

Sorry to be an enabler.

But now you have me thinking that I should pull my starboard riser and put new bolts and gasket just to match the great looking hardware on the port side previously done in the past few months. Yours looks so clean and will look great once you reassemble with new hardware.

Last edited by Lumbergh; 11-20-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:30 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
@ mgorczak1:

The bad hose was the muffler to exhaust flange hose (3" x 3'). So so truly satisfy your OCD, your gonna have to pull floor panel behind the engine dog house and undo the 4 hose camps (each side and pull hoses).

Think of it as an opportunity to clean the aft bilge, lube your rudder assembly, and inspect the aft portion of the blower hose.

I found the battery terminal covers back there while I was working, slid them back up onto battery. Also rerouted the shower hose up against the hull instead of against the muffler.

Sorry to be an enabler.

But now you have me thinking that I should pull my starboard riser and put new bolts and gasket just to match the great looking hardware on the port side previously done in the past few months. Yours looks so clean and will look great once you reassemble with new hardware.

I started working on a new cable pull for the boat I have now, to relocate the battery to the front. I have the entire flooring out now as well as the seats and engine cover, fuel cell, etc... Cleaning the entire basement of the boat, pulling new cables, new stereo speakers / wiring, dual batteries, etc... It never ends... Hoses are next, and I am replacing the plastic riser connections with brass inserts too...

Quote:

Last edited by Cloaked; 11-19-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
@ mgorczak1:

The bad hose was the muffler to exhaust flange hose (3" x 3'). So so truly satisfy your OCD, your gonna have to pull panel behind the engine dog house and undo the 4 hose camps (each side and pull hoses).

Sorry to be an enabler.

But now you have me thinking that I should pull my starboard riser and put new bolts and gasket just to match the great looking hardware on the port side previously done in the past few months.
ha! I checked that....lol...already.... I can see on my 1995 from the stern all the way to the "silent masters"....

Thanks for enabling me I will probably change the hoses...since I have it apart... or maybe not...16 bucks for gaskets hoses still acceptable...rebuilt the trailer this year so I may have to wait till fall 2012.

Good catch on the hose...thanks for the picture "cloaked" I am sure more people checked on their hoses...funny chasin some of the threads...removing the risers seemed difficult for many...cut a allen wrench made the job a snap!
Old 11-19-2011, 07:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorczak1 View Post
...removing the risers seemed difficult for many...cut a allen wrench made the job a snap!
That is what I did with a dremel, think I posted it at some point somewhere around here.

Cut off allen and box end wrench made easy work of it.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:33 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorczak1 View Post
ha! I checked that....lol...already.... I can see on my 1995 from the stern all the way to the "silent masters"....

Thanks for enabling me I will probably change the hoses...since I have it apart... or maybe not...16 bucks for gaskets hoses still acceptable...rebuilt the trailer this year so I may have to wait till fall 2012.

Good catch on the hose...thanks for the picture "cloaked" I am sure more people checked on their hoses...funny chasin some of the threads...removing the risers seemed difficult for many...cut a allen wrench made the job a snap!
On the older stars boats that I have had, they have hex head fasteners... I had to take a perfectly good box wrench and grind down one side to get it to fit inside of the riser casting to get a bite on the hex head.... Always something...

Quote:

Old 11-19-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
On the older stars boats that I have had, they have hex head fasteners... I had to take a perfectly good box wrench and grind down one side to get it to fit inside of the riser casting to get a bite on the hex head.... Always something...

Oh one thing we should start talkin about is the damage the hands take when we work on the ladies...when the bolt broke loose and turned of course the ring finger knuckle quickly accelerated and found the nearest sharp point and proceeded to impale itself on engine...nothing major..."just flesh wound"!!!! plus some french....
Old 11-19-2011, 07:50 PM
MC Fanatic

I remind myself that a) I enjoy working on the MC and b) local shops charge $120/hr to do all the things I do / have done / will do.

Parts are, for the most part, the inexpensive part of the equation.