Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 08-15-2011, 09:21 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2010 X-25
Can the Track Vision Tower Cam be updated to thew NEW HD VIO Cam?

I recently purchased an X-25 and it came with a Track Vision Tower Cam. Its a pretty slick setup, but the quality of the video is pretty poor (my iphone's quality is comparable, if not better).

The company that makes the video camera, VIO-POV, has come out with an HD version of the video camera.

My Question is: Can i simply purchase the new camera and swap it out with the old?

If any of you have done this, I would really appreciate some input. I understand that some wiring may need to be replaced and obviously I will need to swap out the recording units, but will it fit into the current housing and mount?

Thanks for any and all help you can offer.

OLD CAMERA LINK: http://www.vio-pov.com/pov-tactical/pov-t.html

NEW CAMERA LINK: http://www.vio-pov.com/products-all/pov-hd.html
Old 08-15-2011, 09:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Pro Star 197 TT #58 of 100
A gopro is only 300.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:55 PM
TT Newbie

The purpose of this question is simply whether i can use the current setup (mount, housing, possibly wiring) with the new VIO-POV HD video camera.

Will future responses please refrain from suggesting alternatives, i am already aware of those.

Thank you.

Last edited by rpdthree; 08-15-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Pro Star 197 TT #58 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpdthree View Post
The purpose of this questions is simply whether i can use the current setup (mount, housing, possibly wiring) with the new VIO-POV HD video camera.

Will future responses please refrain from suggesting alternatives, i am already aware of those.

Thank you.
I am sure you can, maybe you should contact VIO.

P.S. When you only have 2 post on a forum it's best not to bark orders and catch an attitude. Welcome to TT.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:52 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionMan View Post
I am sure you can, maybe you should contact VIO.

P.S. When you only have 2 post on a forum it's best not to bark orders and catch an attitude. Welcome to TT.
My apologies if it came off as "barking"...i just wanted to be sure that the discussion stayed on topic. I own a GoPro and a Contour HD, which are both great for their specific uses, but I would like to keep using a video system that integrates with the boat's control panel (thus it records, powers, etc. from the control buttons).

I appreciate the advice, and will most likely shoot VIO an email if no one else in the forum has an answer.

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2009 X-Star LY6
I too want to find out if the unit is interchangeable as well. I was quite disappointed in the low quality optics considering the overall cost of the option. I too have a Gopro which we use more for wearing and other remote mounts. However like rdpthree mention, I too would rather utilize the built in system but at a higher quality. Looking at the links you provided, I do see the camera is slightly different inshape. If it doesnt just slip into the existing bracket, worst case, you can always order the new 2012 pylon parts to make it work.

BTW... welcome to TT.. lots of good information and people on this forum.

Owned:
2012 X25
2011 X25
2009 Moomba LSV
2009 Moomba Outback V
2008 Monterey FS180
Pelican 4 set paddle boat
plastic tug boat when I was 4
Old 08-22-2011, 09:27 PM
TT Newbie

okay, so here is my progress thus far. I stopped by our local dealer last week to pick up my boat and asked them about this. They are still looking into the issue to give me an affirmative answer, but i did get a look at the parts diagram for the mount (they are replacing the nylon piece which broke due to the Track Vision).

The camera is braced by a semi-circular clamp and simply bolted into place. That clamp then pivots vertically to allow the camera to be adjusted up and down. With this I have come to a few conclusions:

1. The mount should work with the new camera as long as the diameters are somewhat similar
2. The wiring will need to be replaced in the upper part of the tower (the rest is an extension which i believe can be used).
3. The vertical adjustment may not be fully functional do to the new size of the camera.

I am going to wait to hear back from the dealer before i attempt an upgrade. If I do upgrade, I will be sure to take pics and upload the entire process.

Please let me know if any of you have made progress on this or have input.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-45 on order
What do you mean about the nylon piece broke? Mine is also broken, and just was told there's only a 1 year warranty on that? I think because the metal piece goes up and down so frequently, depending on length of rope/angle, it puts alot of stress on that nylon. So far, MC can't even find the part #s for this, but either way says that its not under warranty. any info on what part or how to fix?
Old 11-07-2011, 04:14 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johkur View Post
What do you mean about the nylon piece broke? Mine is also broken, and just was told there's only a 1 year warranty on that? I think because the metal piece goes up and down so frequently, depending on length of rope/angle, it puts alot of stress on that nylon. So far, MC can't even find the part #s for this, but either way says that its not under warranty. any info on what part or how to fix?
What i meant is that the nylon sleeve that the rope wraps around has a chip in the bottom where the rope lead protrudes. As a result, the tower mounted camera does not follow the skier when the rope moves behind the boat.

Luckily our nylon piece broke within our one year warranty (so for all i know they are replacing the entire mount). I took the mount apart and noticed that when the rope has pressure on it the nylon piece freezes up. Thus, when the skier goes outside the wake the rope lead moves but the nylon doesn't. Thus, the nylon cracks/chips/breaks. I have watched it closely and it only happens once in a while, so I'm just chalking this up to a poor design.

If I get the part number I will post it up here for you as well. Best of luck.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 X-25
Give VIO a call before you buy. I have been discussing the upgrade with them for sometime. They indicated they were having problems with voltage loss with the HD camera with a extension cable. They indicated they were still in R and D with a HD version. This was as of about a month ago. Be sure to tell them you are installing in a mastercraft with the BIG system.

Tags
hd video, tower cam, tower video, track vision, video camera