Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-27-2011, 06:46 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190, 1995, LT-1
Getting Cold and I haven't winterized

OK, so it is going down to 32 over night tonight, and down to 27 Saturday morning.

Late this summer, I bought a '95 Prostar with the LT-1 and a closed cooling system. I was planning to do my first winterizing this weekend... I don't have a warm place to put it until the weather clears on Sunday... Am I in trouble or will this light freeze be OK without having been winterized?

Should I put a small space heater in the bilge overnight to buy time until Sunday?

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
I drop light with a 60 watt bulb laying in the bilge should be all you need to stay safe. You could put a blanket over the motor box for extra insulation if you wanted extra peace of mind.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:30 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
I drop light with a 60 watt bulb laying in the bilge should be all you need to stay safe. ..........
Word x 2 ......

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 10-27-2011, 08:06 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
I drop light with a 60 watt bulb laying in the bilge should be all you need to stay safe. You could put a blanket over the motor box for extra insulation if you wanted extra peace of mind.
^^that's all you need to do. I didn't winterize yet either (NJ) but mine is inside a pole barn.
You have closed cooling on your LT-1? If so just drain your heat exchanger since closed cooling means you already have a/f in your engine.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:55 PM
TT Newbie

Silly question, but this is my first inboard... How do i drain my heat exchanger? Are there drain plugs on the heat exchanger?

By the way, Dave, I stopped by the launch in Bordentown on my way home from Wilmington yesterday to check it out... I will be reaching out to you in the spring for some hints on wakeboarding in that area if you don't mind.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Chapter 7 is winterization

http://indmar.com/About/ContactIndma...94_2002web.pdf
Old 10-27-2011, 09:21 PM
TT Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman View Post
Silly question, but this is my first inboard... How do i drain my heat exchanger? Are there drain plugs on the heat exchanger?

By the way, Dave, I stopped by the launch in Bordentown on my way home from Wilmington yesterday to check it out... I will be reaching out to you in the spring for some hints on wakeboarding in that area if you don't mind.
I've never had one with closed cooling but there should be drains at the bottom of your heat exchanger. Do you have any pics of your engine?

Where do you live? Are you in Jersey? The Bordentown area is great for wakeboarding, but we use the less crowded ramp @ Florence....5 miles down river from Bordentown.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:42 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
I've never had one with closed cooling but there should be drains at the bottom of your heat exchanger. Do you have any pics of your engine?

Where do you live? Are you in Jersey? The Bordentown area is great for wakeboarding, but we use the less crowded ramp @ Florence....5 miles down river from Bordentown.
I used a light last night, and likely will again tonight, to keep it above freezing, but I will uncover and winterize on Sunday. I was really hoping to have one more day on the water, but it isn't going to happen.

I am up in Bridgewater, NJ, about an hour north. But my options are limited - Hopatcong, Budd, Cranbury... Or over to PA or the Delaware. I grew up north of Pittsburgh and spent a LOT of time on the Allegheny, so the Delaware would be fun.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:45 PM
TT Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman View Post
I used a light last night, and likely will again tonight, to keep it above freezing, but I will uncover and winterize on Sunday. I was really hoping to have one more day on the water, but it isn't going to happen.

I am up in Bridgewater, NJ, about an hour north. But my options are limited - Hopatcong, Budd, Cranbury... Or over to PA or the Delaware. I grew up north of Pittsburgh and spent a LOT of time on the Allegheny, so the Delaware would be fun.
Sunday will be my day to winterize also. I've tried those lakes before but for us the river works out great. Less boat traffic, more room to run but watch out for debris. I sent you a PM regarding sunday.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Darn Global Warming!! We had record low temps in Virginia last winter and it's sleeting and snowing this weekend in October?????

Going to put mine up this Sunday.

Tags
closed cooling, lt-1, winterization