Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 09-29-2011, 03:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
Need to vent a little..broke my ankle

Well I'm 39 years old been skiing for 30 years. been wakeboarding since 1994. I finally got my first boat this past July. Everything's great got dialed in slalom and my wakeboarding inverts back (after 2 year hiatus).

I broke my ankle 2 weeks ago on a basic back roll (trick I've been landing for 10 years). Cause I go TOO excited trying to show off and WAY over rotated bounced and then hit hard hyperflexing my foot breaking the Talus bone. one time I wish my boots had come off but they didn't

Now I'm boat driver but good news is my 7-year old son just landed his first wake-to-wake and he just learned in July.

Thanks for listening....
Old 09-29-2011, 04:24 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
I can't imagine getting your foot out of the binding with a broken talus bone. OUCH!

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 09-29-2011, 04:31 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ky View Post
Well I'm 39 years old been skiing for 30 years. been wakeboarding since 1994. I finally got my first boat this past July. Everything's great got dialed in slalom and my wakeboarding inverts back (after 2 year hiatus).

I broke my ankle 2 weeks ago on a basic back roll (trick I've been landing for 10 years). Cause I go TOO excited trying to show off and WAY over rotated bounced and then hit hard hyperflexing my foot breaking the Talus bone. one time I wish my boots had come off but they didn't

Now I'm boat driver but good news is my 7-year old son just landed his first wake-to-wake and he just learned in July.

Thanks for listening....
Spooky,

That's way to weird. Maybe we can both sue MC since we both own 1994 ProStar 205's, and we both broke our ankles while wakeboarding? I was 40 when it happened and was in no way doing your type of trick, but it was a jump I have been doing for years. Just got way out of shape and broke all (they said) three bones in my left ankle.
The hospital saved my binding by unscrewing the sides instead of cutting it, so I still use the same board and bindings. It did however, affect my ability at wakeboarding but mostly from a mental state... Plus the screws get pushed on when I tighten the binding too much.

Some pics: I think we have a case!!
Attached Images

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 09-29-2011, 04:31 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Did you require surgery or did they just set it and put a cast on?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Spooky,

That's way to weird. Maybe we can both sue MC since we both own 1994 ProStar 205's, and we both broke our ankles while wakeboarding? I was 40 when it happened and was in no way doing your type of trick, but it was a jump I have been doing for years. Just got way out of shape and broke all (they said) three bones in my left ankle.
The hospital saved my binding by unscrewing the sides instead of cutting it, so I still use the same board and bindings. It did however, affect my ability at wakeboarding but mostly from a mental state... Plus the screws get pushed on when I tighten the binding too much.

Wow that is weird.. and I don't feel as sorry for myself were they ever worried about AVN.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Own a 78 MC S&S
Crazy!

Quote:
Spooky,

Whats crazier is I have virtually the same repair on my anke (although I broke and dislocated it; so it was sticking out about 12" above where it should have been. BUT... I did it in a pretty wicked racing accident where I suffered other injuries. I am just happy to be walking without a gimp, although I know when the weather is changing now (37 years old) - no one can even tell unless my anke is showing with the MUCH larger bone sticking out

I do have a question though... I just got back on skis after a decade since the accident...and had no trouble (What a blast!). But I still havent been able to find a set of snow skis (I have gone to the dark side: Snowboarding) nor rollerblades that fit without insane pressure on the anke bone where the really long screws are..... This winters project is to remold the boots using a torch and pressure....

Family is all medical; and everyone I talk to say it is riskier to go under and go though surgery again to get all the hardware removed...

Just wondering what others have experienced with this situation. (thought I was alone!)
Old 09-29-2011, 10:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Did you require surgery or did they just set it and put a cast on?
Nope its a fracture without displacement probably because I bounced first then hit wierd. Most of the energy was used up.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
I can't imagine getting your foot out of the binding with a broken talus bone. OUCH!
Yep first thing I did while I still had adrenaline was yank my boots off . Hurt like hell still not sure it was a good idea.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Spooky,

So did you break the talus too or was it isolated to your tibia and fibula.

That stuff scares me
Old 09-29-2011, 10:42 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Wow that is weird.. and I don't feel as sorry for myself were they ever worried about AVN.
AVN??

Quote:
Yep first thing I did while I still had adrenaline was yank my boots off . Hurt like hell still not sure it was a good idea.
My brother actually starting taking off the binding but it really friggen hurt, so we just unscrewed it from the board and entered the hospital that way.

Quote:
So did you break the talus too or was it isolated to your tibia and fibula.

That stuff scares me
Not really sure of the proper names. The Emergency Room told me three bones. I only see one on each side.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams

Tags
broken ankle, hyperflexion, talus, wakeboarding