Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-20-2011, 01:03 PM
marcthegrt

Angry Epic Fail :(

We were doing some late evening surfing and after the set, dumped the bags and headed in. We were doing 20mph all systems good, oil pressure, temp, etc, and then the engine cut out like I had throttled down. Engine light came on and beeping noise. Tried to start again, nothing. When turning the ignition, engine sounded like the safety switch below throttle was pulled off, but it was on the button. Checked fuel line and there is pressure there. Pump seems to be working, it primes when the key is turned to "on" just won't start. Checked the ECM fuses and they were ok. Any suggestion? None of the mechanics have a code reader for MC. Any way to read codes without? Could be a fuel relay possibly or ECM relay?

The paddle in with one oar on Lake Tahoe was a work out, still not at my dock, but at A dock. My seasonal tow boat insurance went down on Labor day so it's going to be 400+ to tow about 1 mile, don't want to have to do that if I can fix at current dock.

Thanks for any help!
2004 X-Star, LQ9 Caddy engine

--Marc
Old 09-20-2011, 01:17 PM
TT Regular

Boat: X-Star
check your 50 amp breaker
Old 09-20-2011, 03:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 197 and 2007 X2
400!?!?!?!?

Dude! Find a kid with an old aluminum fishing boat and give him a case of beer.

A six pack if he's under 18.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:45 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcthegrt View Post
We were doing some late evening surfing and after the set, dumped the bags and headed in. We were doing 20mph all systems good, oil pressure, temp, etc, and then the engine cut out like I had throttled down. Engine light came on and beeping noise. Tried to start again, nothing. When turning the ignition, engine sounded like the safety switch below throttle was pulled off, but it was on the button. Checked fuel line and there is pressure there. Pump seems to be working, it primes when the key is turned to "on" just won't start. Checked the ECM fuses and they were ok. Any suggestion? None of the mechanics have a code reader for MC. Any way to read codes without? Could be a fuel relay possibly or ECM relay?

The paddle in with one oar on Lake Tahoe was a work out, still not at my dock, but at A dock. My seasonal tow boat insurance went down on Labor day so it's going to be 400+ to tow about 1 mile, don't want to have to do that if I can fix at current dock.

Thanks for any help!
2004 X-Star, LQ9 Caddy engine

--Marc
Dumb question but I need to ask; is your lanyard connected? I doubt a loose lanyard would act that way but.....

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 09-20-2011, 04:08 PM
marcthegrt

Got a tow from another MC wake boat for a trade on surfing later n week! MC owners unite I tell ya!

Called my non-rip off mechanic from back when I lived in Idaho. He stepped me through some trouble shooting...looks like a fuel pump. From the number of hours 700 and lack of replacing the factory pump on this last service (rip off mechanics n TAHOE, they want you to break down so tow guy gets his) I am going to be able to hit Napa for the solution. There def wasn't enough pressure in the fuel line after cycling the key from off to on about 5-8 times. Should be at least 10 psi if not more, like 50 psi. When I pushed in the fuel line valve (looks like a tire air valve) barley any fuel came out. He stated it should blast out.

Gonna hit NAPA and see if it is truly the pump, simple install from the instrusction I got from WATERSKI PRO SHOP in Boise Idaho! Larry is the best I tell ya, no rip offs and he is over 1000 miles away still helping out a MC owner.

More to come...
Old 09-20-2011, 06:58 PM
marcthegrt

Thumbs up Fuel Pump

The pump is available at NAPA for 120-150 bucks. It is a Carter part number P74149. Took the fuel lines off with tool from NAPA as well. Unhooked air breather lines. Pulled pump and filter assembly out and thar she was. Took power lines off and high pressure black hose with brass fitting. Pump is at NAPA at 7am so....more to come.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:56 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Don't forget a new fuel filter while you're at it.

BTW, have you changed the filter before? If so, how often? It should be changed at least every 2 years.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:47 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Probably won't find a new filter at the Napa, but good idea to change it, although I read that the filter only comes into play in the last 1/4 tank of gas, so it may not have had much fuel sucked through it.
700hrs may be a record for these pumps!
Get a couple little stainles hose clamps as well for the fuel line in the canister. A buddy replaced his and the line did not seal tight, boat had trouble starting, couple hose clamps fixed it. Also be careful with the hose removing it. Not an off the shelf item at Napa if you mess up an end.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Tags
2004, fuel problem, lq9, xstar