Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 09-07-2011, 12:09 PM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
Looks like fun to me and doesn't look particularly dangerous. Besides, safety is overrated.

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 09-07-2011, 12:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Prostar 190 (sold), 2003 Prostar 197 Tournament Team LQ9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntidsl View Post
Thanks for coming girls..put some sunscreen on and sit back here on this sun deck...oh dont worry about the fumes...oh dont worry about the risk of falling in the water into that white wash...oh dont worry I'm sure if you fall off the surfer wont hit you...
nooooob post. wow
Old 09-07-2011, 12:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiscoStu View Post
Ummm... Ever surfed before? There is very little chance of ever falling in from back there. In fact, MC has even started putting rear-facing seats back there for that exact purpose... I see guys standing on the platform all the time. May not be the smartest thing to do, but there's very little risk at 10mph.
I'm fairly certain the transom seating is recommended for use only when the engine is off, pretty much just to hang out on. I'm also pretty sure that riding on the sundeck or transom (even in seats) is illegal, at least in TN.

From TWRA website:

"Examples of reckless operation are:

•Riding on seatbacks, gunwales, transoms or pedestal seats while above an idle speed"

Of course, laws are only as good as enforcement. And I'm not sayin I've never done it. It does create grey areas when manufacturers place seating in the transom, knowing full well it won't be used solely for its "intended purpose"
Old 09-07-2011, 12:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiscoStu View Post
Ummm... Ever surfed before? There is very little chance of ever falling in from back there. In fact, MC has even started putting rear-facing seats back there for that exact purpose... I see guys standing on the platform all the time. May not be the smartest thing to do, but there's very little risk at 10mph.
Sorry man... wrong. MC will tell you every day and twice on sunday thats not what those seats on the 25 and 2012 X2 are for. It'll definitely get you ticketed on the lake if you try. I'm a pretty cooridinated guy, and i've had my fair share of surf sets (probably seen over a 1000 hours on the water over the last 3 years) when i've been sitting on the sunpad/seats on the 25. I've actually fallen in when i was sitting there when the driver gunned it to get the surfer up and i wasnt ready (once). I knew enough to dive down deep so i wouldnt be hit by the surfer. Also felt lightheaded from sitting back there for too long on one occasion.

Will i sit back there again? Probably. Is it a good idea? Probably not without a jacket and limited exposure.

Last edited by willyt; 09-07-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
on another note... we tried the 2 boat surfing with mattscraft one time. stupid stressful on the drivers and i dont think i'd attempt it with just any driver... but the wake looked pretty similar, really washy.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:13 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I don't know, hitting a roller coming off of someone else's boat could toss someone off the back.

As far as the two boat surfing, fook that. I'm sure it's illegal to be that close to another moving boat and I sure as hell don't trust anyone to drive that close to me.

So my suggestion would be to don't do it and go back to working on your single boat surf wave.
You sound like an old fuddy duddy.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:15 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
Sorry man... wrong. MC will tell you every day and twice on sunday thats not what those seats on the 25 and 2012 X2 are for. It'll definitely get you ticketed on the lake if you try. I'm a pretty cooridinated guy, and i've had my fair share of surf sets (probably seen over a 1000 hours on the water over the last 3 years) when i've been sitting on the sunpad/seats on the 25. I've actually fallen in when i was sitting there when the driver gunned it to get the surfer up and i wasnt ready (once). I knew enough to dive down deep so i wouldnt be hit by the surfer. Also felt lightheaded from sitting back there for too long on one occasion.

Will i sit back there again? Probably. Is it a good idea? Probably not without a jacket and limited exposure.
What kind of person ''guns'' it to get a surfer up? No need to do that IMO.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Pro Star 197 TT #58 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
What kind of person ''guns'' it to get a surfer up? No need to do that IMO.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:44 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 X30 ltr
WOW looks crazy dangerous to me

Resident TeamTalk Jacka$$
2002 black X30
1973 s&s project
Look for me on CHL!! I am in the black X30 with the stars and stripes flying off the tower!!!
Old 09-07-2011, 01:53 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamrockIV View Post
WOW looks crazy dangerous to me
Looks dangerous to me as well, but I'm sure we've all done stupider things in our day.

Tags
surfing