Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 09-03-2011, 02:59 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1996 Prostar 205 LT1
Electrical trouble - 96 PS205 LT1

Hi,
I'm having some strange electrical issues on my 96 PS205 LT1. Basically I'm getting zero current to everything, but somewhat unpredictably. It started two weekends ago out of the blue. I was using the boat just fine, went to start it later in the day and the starter motor just clicked and died. At first I thought it was the battery since I knew it was getting a little weak, so I took it out and had it on a conditioner the past 2 weeks. Battery is now testing at 13.5 volts, so I'm pretty sure its not that.

When I reconnected the battery today and went to start it again, the same thing happened: I turned the key to on and I could hear the fuel being primed and the gauges went to their normal position, then as soon as I turned the key to start the starter clicked once and died and all the gauges went dead. And by dead I mean zero juice: the clock second hand stops moving, no blower, no horn, no radio, etc. Give it about 5 minutes and the power starts flowing again: clock restarts, horn can blow, etc.

As far as I can tell no breakers, including the main 50A on the motor, have tripped. Just now I left it for a few minutes, came back, and each time I would turn the key to to the on position the clock stopped moving. I turned it back to off and the clock restarted. I repeated that at least 10 times. But now, when I turn the key to on the fuel system isn't priming and the gas gauge isn't moving. Every now and then it will, but as soon as I turn the key to start I get one click out of the starter and everything dies again.

Could this be a bad ignition switch? Or have I got a faulty ground somewhere? Where would you recommend I start looking?

Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 09-03-2011, 04:10 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Make sure all your connections are all clean and get a volt meter....check the battery...you should have at least 650 cranking amps...
Old 09-03-2011, 04:18 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
You have a bad battery connection or a bad battery cable. Remove, clean and replace all battery connections.......including the ground connection at the block and the connections at the starter solenoid. If the problem persists after all connections are cleaned, check resistance on your battery cabled.

You could have a bad plate in your battery that is barely connected. Take it to your local Autozone to test.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 09-03-2011, 04:52 PM
TT Newbie

I will check all the connections. It is definitely not the battery itself because I just tried a brand new Interstate 1000 cca cranking battery and the same thing happens.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:20 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
That eliminated the battery.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 09-03-2011, 07:33 PM
TT Newbie

Looks like it was a connection after all. I cleaned up the posts and connectors on the battery cables, as well as the ground connection at the block and the problem hasn't repeated. It has started three times without issue since doing that. Big sigh of relief! I am still confused why the current cut out completely for minutes at at a time ...... I assume there is a relay or solenoid that needed a few minutes to reset itself?

Tags
electrical, lt1, ps205, starter