Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 08-10-2011, 05:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
Ballast Pumps

I'm just curious if anyone has gone away from the reversable pumps and gone to the aerator style pumps???

I realize that it would take twice as many pumps, but given that the pumps are about the same price as an impellor for a Jabsco pump it does have me thinking. And it wouldn't be too difficult to re-plumb. You can get the Tsunami 800 off of the web for around $25. That's a completly new pump instead of just replacing a part and eventually having to replace a Jabsco at around $240.

For those of you that trade boats frequently it's not an issue, but I had my last MC for 29 years. Granted, it didn't have ballast pumps but I've now replaced two jabscos in the last few years.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 08-10-2011, 05:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X-Star, 2002, 5.7L TBI EFI GM/Indmar V-8
I looked at doing it when I replace the pumps in my boat (all three bad ) but I read somewhere that they have to be mounted below the water line because they are not self priming. Meaning that I would have to move the pumps mounting location even with that the flow rates are pretty incredible on the aerator pumps.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
I was considering placing the pumps in the bilge below the engine which would be below the water line. The empty pumps should be ok as long as they are close to the same level as the bags.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 08-10-2011, 06:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-10
Don't forget the cost of check valves. Aerator styles will not act as a check valve. If you don't have check valves and/or vented loops (and probably ball valves on the thru-hulls), your bags will drain out and fill on their own.