Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-31-2011, 01:45 PM
xstarondabayou
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Tow Vehicle-F250?

I am in the processing of looking a for a new truck. I currently have an '07 Chevy Tahoe, and it struggles while pulling the star. I am looking at the Ford F250 with the diesel engine. Does anyone have any experience with this truck or similar trucks?

Keep in mind that I commute two hours total each weekday (120 miles total), and every morning before work I trailer the star to the river and back (total of 58 miles).
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-31-2011, 02:04 PM
Huskie05's Avatar
Huskie05 Huskie05 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Boat: Mastercraft, X55,LSA
Location: West
Posts: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarondabayou View Post
I am in the processing of looking a for a new truck. I currently have an '07 Chevy Tahoe, and it struggles while pulling the star. I am looking at the Ford F250 with the diesel engine. Does anyone have any experience with this truck or similar trucks?

Keep in mind that I commute two hours total each weekday (120 miles total), and every morning before work I trailer the star to the river and back (total of 58 miles).
My first Ford F350 Diesel was amzaing, no issues ever. We towed a very big heavy boat. I sold it when I hit 150,000 miles. The second F350 Diesel is even more amazing. Its an 08, bought it new, it now has 35,000 miles, all towing boats and a motorcycle trailer. We never drive the truck, only to tow, so all it knows is towing. I tow an X55 and don't know its back there. I have the 4 door with the long bed, its a 4x4 as well, loaded. I believe the big 3 all have wonderful trucks, I am just a Ford guy. Built without any of our tax dollars, and they just look great. I think all the guys that have their favorites are using them on a daily basis for work and the like, we only tow toys, then its goes back in the garage clean and ready for the next lake trip. We tow in the mountains of Utah and the extreme heat of southern Utah, never had any issues. If you are looking at the F250, mine as well get the F350, you can usually get the same price if shopping hard, and the the extra weight limits are very nice. Good Luck with the truck, we love ours, its been amazing...
hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-31-2011, 02:19 PM
xstarondabayou
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Typo

TYPO: Sorry, "I am in the process of..."

And thank you for the input. I will look into the 350 as well.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-31-2011, 02:44 PM
03 35th Anniversary's Avatar
03 35th Anniversary 03 35th Anniversary is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Boat: 2003 35th Anniversary LQ9 Supercharged
Location: Waxahachie, Tx.
Posts: 3,070
What year???
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-31-2011, 03:34 PM
magnum's Avatar
magnum magnum is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Boat: Mastercraft X-Star 2006 L18
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 382
I would recommend not to get the 6.0 L Diesel . I have an 2004 F250 with only 62K miles and have spent over 9K in repair bills on the trans and engine and have heard the same stories on the 6.4L I have heard the new 6.7L in the 2011 that ford built has had no problems and the torque and HP is amazing
__________________
Mastercraft 06 X-Star 8.1L
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-31-2011, 04:13 PM
smoketu's Avatar
smoketu smoketu is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Boat: mastercraft x-9 2004 mcx
Location: Phoenix,AZ
Posts: 120
duramax

I have always been a chevy guy and now drive a '09 F250. It was a deal through my work. Now, with that being said, it's been in the shop for leaky engine and crank seals three times. I've only had it about 4 months and I'm not sure what motor is in it but, it pulls a lot weaker than my '06 duramax lbz. I'm sure it's just a fluke but it's definitely been a pain, just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-31-2011, 04:21 PM
xstarondabayou
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
2011

I want to get a 2011 because I have heard better things about the new diesel engine. I'm looking to get one that is certified pre-owned with 20k miles or less.

I am very appreciative for all of the input. I have driven Chevys since I was 16 and have not had any bad experiences until my current SUV, which is a 2007 Tahoe. I am ready for a change of scenery so to speak.

Is the 6.7 l diesel only offered from 2011 and up?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-31-2011, 04:24 PM
gr82bgreen's Avatar
gr82bgreen gr82bgreen is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Boat: 1995 maristar 200 vrs
Location: Calgary
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum View Post
I would recommend not to get the 6.0 L Diesel . I have an 2004 F250 with only 62K miles and have spent over 9K in repair bills on the trans and engine and have heard the same stories on the 6.4L I have heard the new 6.7L in the 2011 that ford built has had no problems and the torque and HP is amazing
I am a ford tech. The 6.0 l is a good engine if the headgaskets have been done. It is also best if the head bolts are replaced with good aftermarket studs. The transmissions are pretty trouble free. The 6.4 l seems to be a troublesome engine and I would stay away if I were you. The 6.7 is pretty new, but so far has been excellent.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-31-2011, 04:52 PM
Huskie05's Avatar
Huskie05 Huskie05 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Boat: Mastercraft, X55,LSA
Location: West
Posts: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr82bgreen View Post
I am a ford tech. The 6.0 l is a good engine if the headgaskets have been done. It is also best if the head bolts are replaced with good aftermarket studs. The transmissions are pretty trouble free. The 6.4 l seems to be a troublesome engine and I would stay away if I were you. The 6.7 is pretty new, but so far has been excellent.
What issues have you seen on the 6.4, that is in my truck I have now. We have seen no issues, change the engine oil every 2500 and trans fulid every year. Its been a great truck thus far. Fingers crossed.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-31-2011, 04:58 PM
03 35th Anniversary's Avatar
03 35th Anniversary 03 35th Anniversary is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Boat: 2003 35th Anniversary LQ9 Supercharged
Location: Waxahachie, Tx.
Posts: 3,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarondabayou View Post
I want to get a 2011 because I have heard better things about the new diesel engine. I'm looking to get one that is certified pre-owned with 20k miles or less.

I am very appreciative for all of the input. I have driven Chevys since I was 16 and have not had any bad experiences until my current SUV, which is a 2007 Tahoe. I am ready for a change of scenery so to speak.

Is the 6.7 l diesel only offered from 2011 and up?
I have a 2011 6.7 and it is a great running truck. Only has about 6k miles on it right now.

In town driving is 15.5 mpg which isn't too bad for a CC/4x4/Dually.

Last edited by 03 35th Anniversary; 07-31-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:44 AM.