Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 07-20-2011, 10:15 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 190, 1992, 351
92 PS 351 wake spray and prop?

I picked up a 92 PS 190 last week. It has an OJ 13 x 13 prop and standard 351. I spent some time searching Teamtalk for ideas on props and noticed a picture of a wake in the "show me your wake" thread that looked really nice. Actually much nicer than mine.
I was wondering what first hand experience some of the members here have had to reduce spray, rooster tail and improve the wake on this hull.
I read in the 93 waterski boat buyers guide that in 93 MC set up the stars and stripe with a lower bow attitude on plane to improve what I mentioned above. Has any one tried this on the 92?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:19 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
What speed?

What wind conditions?

It all depends on that
Old 07-20-2011, 11:25 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Welcome.

The 93 S&S and 92 190 should have the same hull. The WSM guys may have weighted the nose or something to get it to ride a little more bow down. But it shouldn't need much, if anything, to have a wonderful wake.

Here is a prop comparison I did on my old 93 205 several years ago. My impression was that the CNC milled prop I replaced my factory 13x13 with improved the wake a bit.

As for chine spray, in no wind, you should be able to get into 35 off without too much trouble. Short of modifying the hull, there's not much you can do about that.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:46 PM
TT Newbie

First attempt

I really want to see what difference it will make with the bow riding lower. The Boat was set up for a second battery up in the bow. So I purchased a battery to put in that spot and might move the primary battery from the rear to the front as well. Hope to run it this weekend and will take a camera along with me.
Thanks for the help.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:52 PM
MC Maniac

Maybe i ‘m not looking at this the right way, but wouldn’t pushing the bow down raise the transom higher and increasing the spray?

IMO, the OP did not consider speed or wind in his observations.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:08 PM
TT Newbie

I understand what your saying about speed and wind. What I am looking at is the height of the spray at the stern of the boat. If I can change the spray direction from up to out I hope to improve the conditions for the skier at all speeds and wind. First try and easiest is change the plain of the boat and see what it does.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:42 PM
MC Maniac

OK cool... I just think pushing the stern higher is going to increase it... Please post your findings, I've found spray at the testicular level is not fun...

LOL
Old 07-21-2011, 05:50 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Install a 4 blade prop. The side spray is something you will just learn to deal with. I have about 250lbs in my bow with batteries, amps, gear etc. The side spray is still the same.

The prop did a lot and made the wakes softer and the turbulent prop wash is a lot less with a 4 blade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 07-21-2011, 05:51 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Btw -38 is still do able behind your boat, I've done it.... The newer ones have less side spray but you pay 3x as much for that luxury. Get some man hands and ski through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 07-21-2011, 05:52 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Install a 4 blade prop. The side spray is something you will just learn to deal with. I have about 250lbs in my bow with batteries, amps, gear etc. The side spray is still the same.

The prop did a lot and made the wakes softer and the turbulent prop wash is a lot less with a 4 blade.
A newer 3 blade will soften the wake a bit as well.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Tags
rooster, spray, wake