Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-09-2011, 09:17 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
My '89 had the same circuit board, it can't be 'reset', but a MC mechanic told me it can be removed from the boat and the boat will operate normally, you just won't get the idiot alarms for overheat, low oil low voltage etc. I removed mine and everything works normally. BTW that circuit board in not available anymore per the local mc dealer...

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 07-09-2011, 09:21 PM
MC Maniac

BTW to remove the board simply remove the wires and insulate with elec. tape so as not to short out to other wires. The wires are a T off each sender unit so the circuit will not be interupted...

Old 07-12-2011, 02:57 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1990 prostar 190 Limited Edition
Thanks James.
I have a feeling this is what I'm gonna do..I'll check and redo as many connections as I can because I should anyway. if alarm still going its gonna get the snip!!
Old 07-12-2011, 02:57 PM
TT Newbie

Where is the alarm board by the way? Is it the whole dash out?
Old 07-12-2011, 03:12 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 89 tri star 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
My '89 had the same circuit board, it can't be 'reset', but a MC mechanic told me it can be removed from the boat and the boat will operate normally, you just won't get the idiot alarms for overheat, low oil low voltage etc. I removed mine and everything works normally. BTW that circuit board in not available anymore per the local mc dealer...

Did your accessory panel quit working when your alarm started going off?
Old 07-12-2011, 05:27 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by olianders64 View Post
Did your accessory panel quit working when your alarm started going off?
The circuit board is behind the panel just remove the 6 or 8 screws is the front of panel then pivot down to access. My circuit board did not got out, I replaced all my gauges and saw the circuit board then asked mc if I needed it, they said no. my gauges and dash components all worked before and they all worked after removing you just won't get any audible alarm bc it's removed just have to keep and extra eye on the gauges...

Old 07-12-2011, 05:50 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 89 tri star 190
What would make the accessory panel stop working? Should I replace all the toggle switches and/or the reset buttons?
Old 07-12-2011, 06:03 PM
MC Maniac

First you need to see if your getting battery voltage to the panel, the whole panel quit working? Some on those switches should be hot all times and others should be switched power from the ignition switch...

Old 07-13-2011, 12:33 PM
TT Newbie

hi all
I managed to get some time on the boat today. I finally worked out what our starting problem is. The neutrel safety switch was not letting current from ignition to the solenoid 100% of the time. I looped this out for now and will order one. I took it out and did a continuity test on it and its dead. Hopefully that proves it?

Once I looped it out it still wasnt starting everytime and still just a click the odd time. So I used the multimeter and it proved solenoid dodgy every now and then also.

I bought a new solenoid, not exactly the same but it does the job. It's just an 12v external starter motor solenoid from auto shop. I just ran the wire from ignition (which I will loop back through when new nss arrives) to pos and a new ground to it from main cable bar. It isn't a self grounding type like the original.

Starts first go everytime! happy out.

Thre is one thing I'm not too sure of though. The orange cable from the I terminal on the old solenoid ran to the batt terminal on the coil. At the moment its not connnected to anything. I did try it to the orange on the main bar but the starter stayed on once ignition released and engine running. back feed maybe? anyway it Seems ok as is. Anyone know if it'll be ok to leave this orange wire disconnected?

Anyway sorry, back to the alarm..ooops.

I disconnected the pink wire off the circut board and it stopped. thank god!!

Everything seems ok except the temp gauge pings to max. I had to leg it so I might reconnect and see if temp guage comes back..with the alarm I'd say..

Thanks for all the help so far and I'll keep updating when I get more info
Old 07-13-2011, 06:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 LT-1
Still post the pic of the back of that board like Jim asked. I think he's looking for any burnt connections.

Tags
alternator, engine alarm, tristar