Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 06-29-2011, 07:48 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 1991 351 ford
Battery Placement

I recently returned to boat owership with a 91 Master Craft Pro Star. The boat has been fantastic so far. The previous owner had the battery in the stern by the gas tank. I would really like to relocate it to underneath the observers seat in the middle of the boat. Underneath the seat is a hole with a flange around it that i believe the battery cables should be going through. However it is plucked up and i haven't been able to get any of the cables through. Has anybody encountered this. I have thought about drilling out the hole but i am fearful of this since i'm not sure what exactly i'm drilling into. Is this even the best thing to be doing in the first place? I would really appreciate any help you can offer for this first time mastercraft owner.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:07 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Not sure about the hole under the observer seat, but the stock location for that battery is where it is. The previous owner didn't do anything but leave it there. I agree it's a pretty dumb place to have the battery. I have read that the cables are long enough that you can just pull them through the bilge and redirect them where you are thinking. How you get it there, I don't know. I just held my breath and hoped for no fuel leaks when I owned my early 90s Pro Star.

Welcome!

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:22 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
I routed mine to under the observer seat in my 94 205 with the original factory cables. Is yours a 205? If so I'll send pix.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:29 PM
TT Newbie

Mine is a 91 190.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:30 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
Not sure about the hole under the observer seat, but the stock location for that battery is where it is. The previous owner didn't do anything but leave it there. I agree it's a pretty dumb place to have the battery. I have read that the cables are long enough that you can just pull them through the bilge and redirect them where you are thinking. How you get it there, I don't know. I just held my breath and hoped for no fuel leaks when I owned my early 90s Pro Star.

Welcome!
Weird that they would mount the battery back there.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:37 PM
TT Newbie

Well since reading these replies i have put the battery back in it original place. However after getting the battery back in place and hooking everything up that is the least of my worries. The same problem of it not cranking came back. Here's what has happened so far. One week ago we were at the lake the first time the boat was turned off while on the water it wouldn't start up. I thought it was the batter so I replaced it and the ignition went from nothing to a click coming from the solenoid/starter. I replaced the solenoid and still no results. Finally I had the starter rebuilt(confirmed it was fried first) and we were good to go again. At the lake yesterday and it fired right up. First time it was turned off it was diffult to start back up. We assumed it was a lose connection. Today I replaced the neg/pos terminal connections and cleaned the wires. Now it won't crank. Voltage on the dash showed 12 volts and checking the battery with the voltmeter registered at 13 volts. I need some help to get me back on the water. Anybody have some suggestions for me. Thank you in advance.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:54 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Silly, but is the safety lanyard secure? Also make sure throttle is not in gear.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:05 AM
TT Newbie

Check for both of those. I wish it had been one of those.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:34 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
New starter. Make sure you get a marine starter.

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1030

Last edited by bigmac; 06-30-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 SS, 1991 PS190
It still sounds like you have a battery cable connection problem or a faulty battery cable. Did you clean the ground cable connection on the engine?