Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2011, 12:52 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X-30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
Make sure that whatever you get has a GPS based speed control. The paddle wheels do not work well in a current.
It is the other way around, the GPS does not work well in a current the paddle wheel is the best option in current.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:59 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 PS 190 w/ mini tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
I went from an 05 X-2 (similar to current X-1) to an X-25 this year. I absolutely love the X-25.

As much as I enjoyed the X-2, as I was telling my crew last week after another great day on the water with the X-25, there hasn't been a day where any of us wished we had the X-2 back.

With stock ballast the wakeboard wake is fantastic, maybe the best wakeboard boat on the market with stock ballast. The surf wake is also excellent. There is a huge amount of storage in the boat. The seating space for people is huge, especially for a 21'6" boat, made even more so by the space in the bow area because of the pickle fork.

The deep vee hull handles rough water like a dream, something which the X-2 did not.

Mastercraft has a real winner with the X-25. It's by far the best selling boat my dealer sells. And if you can get one, you're lucky, because my dealer has sold out of his X-25 allocation for the year.

Just to be sure, I test drove a Malibu Wakesetter VLX and a Nautique Super Air 210, and there really was no contest.

I have the MCX engine, and it does just fine. I was a bit concerned when ordering that it might not be enough for the X-25, which is a heavy boat (one reason it does so well in rough water), but my dealer assured me it would be fine and it is.

I didn't get the power tower and happy I didn't because I've heard there are still a lot of problems with it.

I got plug and play but it's one the dealer designed and installed. The wake with the p&p is massive; it's scary coming up on that wake and seeing how huge it is with p&p.

I'm happy to answer questions about the X-25. My advice -- get one!

It actually overtook the X-2 as the top selling model for MC this year.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:43 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X30 with a lightly tickled LS7
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
To address the ballast comments, honestly this boat doesn't need alot of ballast. I've actually taken a wakeboard set with the boat completely empty and thought the wake was better than my 05x2 loaded with 2700lbs + people. Definitely one of the best surf boats they have too, surfed one this Saturday with tabs, stock ballast and 9 people and it was amazing.

I know a wakeboat that doesn't need alot of ballast is crazy, but test drive one and you'll see.
I agree. I am no pro, But I have a hard time handling the wakeboard wake with my factory tanks full in my X25 +5-6 people in the boat. It is the best wake I have ever seen on stock ballast.

-I have never used the plug n play sacks for wakeboarding yet. My buddy, who is much better than me, doesn't even want to fill them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osuwaterboy View Post
Also, I would not buy the plug and play system. I don't think it's enough ballast. The storage compartments have more than enough room for added ballast in the X-25.
I have plug and play, and it is plenty for surfing. When I surf, I have the port hard tank and KGB full. and the port sack full. Attitude plate at 50% and tabs 100% to port, 10.5mph. Its a big wave.... The 25 is a great surf boat. I cant imagine it with a 750lb sack. It must be crazy!!
Old 06-28-2011, 01:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 Mastercraft X-25
A couple of other things:

- If you ride where there is a current, you don't want the GPS based speed control.

- Compared to my old X-2, the X-25 is not as nimble. The 205V hull handles like a sports car. The X-25 doesn't initiate a turn as quickly and I'm still learning to turn earlier than I needed to with the X-2.

- It consumes more gas than the X-2. Same engine, MCX, but the X-25 is way heavier. On the plus side, it has a gas filler on both sides of the boat. Also, I discovered the Super Siphon, which makes putting gas in the boat much easier and less hassle.

- I can fit 9-10 people in the boat with ease. It swallows up people and gear.

- Though the boat is quite wide in the beam (102") the wake is not super wide (as the X-Star is). Yes, wider and rampier than my old X-2, but an easier wake to ride. Everyone I ride with loves it.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Brand new 01 X10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskonn View Post
It is the other way around, the GPS does not work well in a current the paddle wheel is the best option in current.
My bad. It didnt seem right when I posted it either. lol
Old 06-29-2011, 01:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 X-Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
My bad. It didnt seem right when I posted it either. lol
You guys and your enormous lakes, geeszch. Us river rats live and die by our paddlewheels.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:26 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
Can someone please explain how a GPS base in a current is not more accurate then a paddle wheel? GPS is over land not water. One would think that going up current at 36 MPH with a 2MPH current going at you would make you really only going 34 "real speed" what am i missing here?

If going through a course the the balls stay in one place....how would current throw off a boat that is going 36mph based on land speed? It does not take the water into account at all you are still going to get through the course in the same amount of time.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Its like air speed vs ground speed, just substitute water for air. For towing, over-land speed isn't important, its over water speed. If you board at 20mph on a lake with GPS and you're set up the same on a 2 mph river, then you're really boarding at 22 mph (water speed -assuming traveling up current). Then, when you turn and travel down current, you're only going 18 mph (water speed). So, your GPS based PP is roughly off the mark plus and minus the current's speed.

Last edited by deminimis; 06-29-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
I can see it for boarding but not for going through a course....the balls are still....you have to make it thourgh the course in X amount of time. Seems GPS would be best for that?
Old 06-29-2011, 04:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70 View Post
I can see it for boarding but not for going through a course....the balls are still....you have to make it thourgh the course in X amount of time. Seems GPS would be best for that?
Dunno, my ski is an Obrien TRC (bought it when it first came out circa '86??? -When I had a B*tch'n Glastron). Haven't skied in decades.

Tags
ballast, surf, wake, x-25