Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2011, 06:27 PM
jwardenjr

Wake and Surf Boat suggestion

I have been talking to my local dealer and he is suggesting the x-25 as the best bet for me. I have tested the Tige, Centurion and Malibu boats but just canít stand the quality after being in a Mastercraft. The Tige & Centurion made a nice surf wake but again the quality of these boats are just not there. This will be my first Mastercraft boat but want to make sure I get the right boat for us.

I live on the Colorado River AZ in the Parker Strip area ... we have clean water for about 2-3 hours in the mornings and then for about 1 hr in the evenings for wakeboarding. Then is gets very rough. We then want to start Surfing in the mid-day. The only drawback to the x-25 was the small storage area for additional ballast ? to make good surf wakes ? What is your thoughts on the x-25 for us. Has anyone been able to dial in this boat for wake surfing ?

We were going to order the boat with Plug n Play Ballast, Power tower, big engine and the norm options.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X-15
I too looked at other brands before buying an X-15. I tried my best to not buy a Mastercraft but after being in one and driving one nothing else compares. I can't really comment on the X-25 since I don't have any experience with them and am by no means a MC expert. You won't go wrong with any of them. A few of the many things I love about the X-15.... Standard bow config, Crazy storage, handles extremely well, great wake for everything, very quick and nimble, perfect size for us. All around a complete package. Good luck and welcome!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X55,LSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwardenjr View Post
I have been talking to my local dealer and he is suggesting the x-25 as the best bet for me. I have tested the Tige, Centurion and Malibu boats but just canít stand the quality after being in a Mastercraft. The Tige & Centurion made a nice surf wake but again the quality of these boats are just not there. This will be my first Mastercraft boat but want to make sure I get the right boat for us.

I live on the Colorado River AZ in the Parker Strip area ... we have clean water for about 2-3 hours in the mornings and then for about 1 hr in the evenings for wakeboarding. Then is gets very rough. We then want to start Surfing in the mid-day. The only drawback to the x-25 was the small storage area for additional ballast ? to make good surf wakes ? What is your thoughts on the x-25 for us. Has anyone been able to dial in this boat for wake surfing ?

We were going to order the boat with Plug n Play Ballast, Power tower, big engine and the norm options.

Go big or go home, get X55! Kidding, the X25 is awesome, I can't find one MC I don't like, even the older MC's are sick. Works of art on the water.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Brand new 01 X10
Make sure that whatever you get has a GPS based speed control. The paddle wheels do not work well in a current.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 PS 190 w/ mini tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwardenjr View Post

X-25 is arguably the best surfing boat that MC currently has, and it is not a problem to get that boat weighted to have an excellent surf wake. The steeper deadrise of that hull also means that it will handle ruff water better than some of the other pickle fork boats, unless you step up to an X-35 or X-55.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:14 PM

Boat: 06 X30
X55 is the way I'd go.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
To address the ballast comments, honestly this boat doesn't need alot of ballast. I've actually taken a wakeboard set with the boat completely empty and thought the wake was better than my 05x2 loaded with 2700lbs + people. Definitely one of the best surf boats they have too, surfed one this Saturday with tabs, stock ballast and 9 people and it was amazing.

I know a wakeboat that doesn't need alot of ballast is crazy, but test drive one and you'll see.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 Mastercraft X-25
I went from an 05 X-2 (similar to current X-1) to an X-25 this year. I absolutely love the X-25.

As much as I enjoyed the X-2, as I was telling my crew last week after another great day on the water with the X-25, there hasn't been a day where any of us wished we had the X-2 back.

With stock ballast the wakeboard wake is fantastic, maybe the best wakeboard boat on the market with stock ballast. The surf wake is also excellent. There is a huge amount of storage in the boat. The seating space for people is huge, especially for a 21'6" boat, made even more so by the space in the bow area because of the pickle fork.

The deep vee hull handles rough water like a dream, something which the X-2 did not.

Mastercraft has a real winner with the X-25. It's by far the best selling boat my dealer sells. And if you can get one, you're lucky, because my dealer has sold out of his X-25 allocation for the year.

Just to be sure, I test drove a Malibu Wakesetter VLX and a Nautique Super Air 210, and there really was no contest.

I have the MCX engine, and it does just fine. I was a bit concerned when ordering that it might not be enough for the X-25, which is a heavy boat (one reason it does so well in rough water), but my dealer assured me it would be fine and it is.

I didn't get the power tower and happy I didn't because I've heard there are still a lot of problems with it.

I got plug and play but it's one the dealer designed and installed. The wake with the p&p is massive; it's scary coming up on that wake and seeing how huge it is with p&p.

I'm happy to answer questions about the X-25. My advice -- get one!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
Make sure that whatever you get has a GPS based speed control. The paddle wheels do not work well in a current.
pretty sure it is actually the opposite. ??
Old 06-27-2011, 10:27 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft X25, 2010, LY6 400HP
I have an X-25, and we surf a lot. I fill up all the stock ballast and add a 750# fat sac + another sac as full as possible (about half full) to the rear compartment. I set center trim tab to 50% and 100% on the surf tabs. With a few people in the boat it makes a real nice wake. Or you can put another fat sac under/on the port seat. It seems to work best at about 10.5 mph.

Also, I would not buy the plug and play system. I don't think it's enough ballast. The storage compartments have more than enough room for added ballast in the X-25.

The wakeboarding wake is excellent with stock ballast.

You can't go wrong with the X-25 if you want to surf and wakeboard. It's a big boat and not very nimble around docks and tight spaces and naturally not too good for slalom skiing - I'm speaking as a previous ProStar 190 owner. It's very comfortable with 10 people in the boat and handles rough water well. We also spend a lot of time just swimming off the platform and we enjoy the flip up seats. I would say it's almost a perfect boat for me - if only we had a decent MC dealer in Oklahoma.

Tags
ballast, surf, wake, x-25