Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-12-2011, 08:11 PM
jon.fedele@activahh.com jon.fedele@activahh.com is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Boat: 2010 X-2
Location: Southeast
Posts: 6
Which prop best for my X-2

I'm trying to figure out which prop would be best for my X-2. Problem is we use the boat for everything from slalom skiing to wakesurfing. Has someone with similar multi-sport uses found the best prop to get a good hole shot, yet still have the top end speed?

It came with an OJ 14.75 x 15.5
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-12-2011, 09:55 PM
nickespi's Avatar
nickespi nickespi is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
Location: South
Posts: 896
I went to a 14.75 x 15.5 from a 14 x 20 on my X-30 and love it. Doing everything on it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-12-2011, 10:04 PM
MIskier's Avatar
MIskier MIskier is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Boat: 2006 PS 190 w/ mini tower
Location: S.W Floarida
Posts: 596
You should be able to get 43mph top end, and a decent hole shot for skiing. How much weight are you looking to run for wakeboarding/surfing?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-12-2011, 10:23 PM
bturner2's Avatar
bturner2 bturner2 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 2,373
I'm running a 13.7x17.5 as recommended by Eric at OJ and love it. It slaloms great and surfs well also. I rarely overload the boat using standard ballast with another 300lb sac in the rear on the side the surfer will be. No complaints on the wake for surfing. I have a 14" prop also but it really turns up the RPMs to run at anything above 30MPH. Not a good prop for larger lakes where you'll want to be able to cruse at a good rate. Love the 13.7.......
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-12-2011, 10:46 PM
jon.fedele@activahh.com jon.fedele@activahh.com is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Boat: 2010 X-2
Location: Southeast
Posts: 6
For wakesurfing I fill the standard starboard (or port) factory ballast, plus an additional 400 lbs on the side of the surfer, and then also the center factory ballast. Surfs great.

It's pushing 4200 RPM's at 36mph. Top end just at 40mph.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-12-2011, 10:51 PM
jon.fedele@activahh.com jon.fedele@activahh.com is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Boat: 2010 X-2
Location: Southeast
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
I'm running a 13.7x17.5 as recommended by Eric at OJ and love it. It slaloms great and surfs well also. I rarely overload the boat using standard ballast with another 300lb sac in the rear on the side the surfer will be. No complaints on the wake for surfing. I have a 14" prop also but it really turns up the RPMs to run at anything above 30MPH. Not a good prop for larger lakes where you'll want to be able to cruse at a good rate. Love the 13.7.......
Sounds like the one you're using would solve my issue at higher speeds when we slalom. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-12-2011, 10:51 PM
MIskier's Avatar
MIskier MIskier is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Boat: 2006 PS 190 w/ mini tower
Location: S.W Floarida
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.fedele@activahh.com View Post
For wakesurfing I fill the standard starboard (or port) factory ballast, plus an additional 400 lbs on the side of the surfer, and then also the center factory ballast. Surfs great.

It's pushing 4200 RPM's at 36mph. Top end just at 40mph.
Yeah if you're wanting to get the RPM's down than the 13.7 will be a good bet. The 43mph was calculated using the engine RPM as 5000...couldnt remember what an MCX runs at.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Jerseydave's Avatar
Jerseydave Jerseydave is offline
TT Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Location: Jersey
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.fedele@activahh.com View Post
For wakesurfing I fill the standard starboard (or port) factory ballast, plus an additional 400 lbs on the side of the surfer, and then also the center factory ballast. Surfs great.

It's pushing 4200 RPM's at 36mph. Top end just at 40mph.
I think you may already have the best prop for your needs. I am running that same prop on my 05 X-star with the MCX engine. What engine do you have?

What's your rpm's at wide open? What's the altitude where you are? Your boat is lighter/smaller than mine so you should be hitting over 40 mph I would think.

Eric @ OJprops could help you. He'll most likely be along monday when he sees this thread.
__________________
I was njskier on here.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-12-2011, 11:05 PM
jon.fedele@activahh.com jon.fedele@activahh.com is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Boat: 2010 X-2
Location: Southeast
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
I think you may already have the best prop for your needs. I am running that same prop on my 05 X-star with the MCX engine. What engine do you have?

What's your rpm's at wide open? What's the altitude where you are? Your boat is lighter/smaller than mine so you should be hitting over 40 mph I would think.

Eric @ OJprops could help you. He'll most likely be along monday when he sees this thread.
I need to doublecheck the RPM's at wide open. I'm at sea level. I've got the Indmar 310HP

I'll give Eric a call.

Thanks all
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Jerseydave's Avatar
Jerseydave Jerseydave is offline
TT Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Location: Jersey
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.fedele@activahh.com View Post
I need to doublecheck the RPM's at wide open. I'm at sea level. I've got the Indmar 310HP

I'll give Eric a call.

Thanks all
I'm not sure what the wide open throttle rpm's should be for your engine, but I would assume 4800-5200 rpms.
You said @ 4200 rpms you are at 36 mph. Another 800 rpms should give you more than 4 mph I would think. See what Eric says, but maybe the 14.25 X 14.5 prop might work better for you (but it will raise your rpms at wakeboarding and skiing speeds)
__________________
I was njskier on here.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
prop, propeller, x-2

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:07 PM.