Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 05-22-2011, 05:32 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X2 SS MCX
Question Where to cut bilge pump wires?

I need to replace the forward bilge pump on my '07 X2. The wires are accessible for about 12-15" coming off the pump through center access port in the center of my cabin floor.

Questions
1) Do I cut and splice in the new pump's wires there, or is there a better position for the splices somewhere I haven't seen?
2) Recommendations on waterproofing the splices?
3) Should I replace it with the same model? (Rule-Mate 750)

TIA!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:41 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcarter View Post

I need to replace the forward bilge pump on my '07 X2. The wires are accessible for about 12-15" coming off the pump through center access port in the center of my cabin floor.

Questions
1) Do I cut and splice in the new pump's wires there, or is there a better position for the splices somewhere I haven't seen?
2) Recommendations on waterproofing the splices?
3) Should I replace it with the same model? (Rule-Mate 750)

TIA!
Using the same model will make it easier to make sure the pump will fit. Do you have the submersible kind, or the one that has a black "wing" at the top and comes out as a cartridge?

Cut the wires at the same place as the OEM installation. You don't want two splice points in the wires because that increases the chance that it will fail. If you don't expect to need more terminals like this, go to NAPA- they have butt splices that are crimped and then heated, causing the sealant to ooze out.

Have you connected the pump directly to a battery, to make sure it's the pump and not the wiring that caused it to stop working?
Old 06-03-2011, 10:54 PM
TT Regular

So...
Replaced the pumps with the latest version: Rule-Mate 750a.
Both units were wired into the same type of plug. The new ones came with just the wires, no plug, so I had to create a single splice on each wire. Used the butt connectors and sealed them with liquid electrical tape. New units are larger so had to relocate one of them. One hour job that took me 4.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:50 PM
TT Regular

And by the way the old bilge pumps were both seized. Tested them after removal to be sure. Weird for a '07.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:31 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcarter View Post
And by the way the old bilge pumps were both seized. Tested them after removal to be sure. Weird for a '07.
The easiest way to seize a bilge pump is to accidentally flip the switch to ON when cleaning the dash.

Tags
bilge, bilge_pump, pump, wiring