Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2011, 04:52 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 X-30
Angry Speed control on X-30

I recently bought a 2006 X-30 and it has the Mastercraft speed control. It seems to work "pretty good" around speeds of 18 to 25 mph, but I have not been able to set the speed at a slower speed (8 to 12 mph) for surfing... Does anyone know if there is a setting that can be adjusted on the system? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
How hard are you pushing the throttle manually before your expecting the mc cruise to take over? My 05 mc cruise is very finicky about those slower speeds, I have to get within about .5 mph of the set speed and hold it there for a couple seconds before it will take over.

Btw 8-9 mph is way too slow to surf...
Old 03-19-2011, 11:01 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: between boats
The 06' factory cruise didn't work all that well for surfing speeds, newer versions were able to lock onto slower speeds but the 06' lacked this ability. Try running in RPM or Manual mode and this should get you up and running!
Old 03-19-2011, 12:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X1 2006 310HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by corey View Post
The 06' factory cruise didn't work all that well for surfing speeds, newer versions were able to lock onto slower speeds but the 06' lacked this ability. Try running in RPM or Manual mode and this should get you up and running!
This is what I do to surf my 06 x1. Loaded wth 1400lbs of ballast I run at 2420RPM. The manual mode works better. Just turn it on around 2400 rpm and use the adjustment to change speeds.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 X55 LSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
How hard are you pushing the throttle manually before your expecting the mc cruise to take over? My 05 mc cruise is very finicky about those slower speeds, I have to get within about .5 mph of the set speed and hold it there for a couple seconds before it will take over.

Btw 8-9 mph is way too slow to surf...
At what speed do you surf? My kids like about 10 in a loaded x45
Old 03-19-2011, 08:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X1 2006 310HP
I'm at about 10 to 10.5 by GPS in my X1
Old 03-19-2011, 09:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Used to have 2006 X-45....
I never noticed a problem with it holding surf speed on my 2006 X45. I do think it may have helped a little to gently put the throttle down further about 5 seconds after the MC cruise engages. I know that you have to do that with throttle by cable systems to give the unit some 'slack' to work with. It shouldn't make a difference for an 06, as I think it is throttle by wire. But I think it helped for surfing and I KNOW it helped for wakeboarding. Often when turning, it would lose speed, but would not do it if the throttle was down.

And my X45 surfed well about 11 MPH. But I think most speedos get less accurate at those speeds, particularly when tipped sideways with lots of ballast. I GPS'd mine to be accurate at wakeboarding speeds.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X30, MCX
I have a 07-x30, and for surf mode, I toggle the speed control to manual. I get the boat throttled up to about 2600 rpm's, and then watch the speedo... when it get's to 10MPH, I engage the cruise.. it does a great job holding in this mode like this..
Old 03-21-2011, 08:54 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by btriantos View Post
I have a 07-x30, and for surf mode, I toggle the speed control to manual. I get the boat throttled up to about 2600 rpm's, and then watch the speedo... when it get's to 10MPH, I engage the cruise.. it does a great job holding in this mode like this..
I tested manual this weekend.

Indeed, manual for surfing seems pretty good. Get the boat going, anywhere near your surf speed and then just push and hold the on button until it engages. After that just push the + or - pad to get it dialed and forget it.

Thanks to the folks that posted here I might not be spending all that cash on PP stargazer.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:33 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 06 X-15
06 X15 That is also what worked for me for surfing.

Set to Manual, Press and hold ON at about ~2600 RPM's and hit +/- to adjust from there.

I tried RPM mode and it would not engage, it was locked to 2400 but wouldn't pick up. Maybe I was coming out of the hole too fast, expecting it to kick in and before I realize it we are already going 15-18 MPH and the surfer is haulin a*#

Tags
control, speed, surf