Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 05-09-2011, 02:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X7 MCX350
X7 Fat Sack rear ballast issues. Now with Solution

Hi,
Ive got a 2005 X7 with a rear ballast flexible tank by Fat Sack.
To take on ballast the rear seat is lifted to a sundeck postion and then the fat sack is filled.

Altough the fat sack is shaped/seamed to fill and rise in the space behind the rear seat kicker board (ie within the footprint of the seat), in reality the bag fills and pops theseat kicker board from the hull side brackets and lies there as a large shapeless sack.

Furthermore the bag now is literrally a "Fat Sack" spread across the rear floor between rear bulk head and engine cover which then never properly empties without a lot of lifting etc to get water down to exit pipe. Its a real pain in the butt. Particularly as with my family filling and emptying ballast is a frequent activity

My question is: Is there a more robust higher panel that can slip into the rear seat kicker slots to bridge the gap between floor and the seat underside in the sun deck position to "contain and restrain" the fat sack within the footprint of the rear seat area?

At the moment I am planning to make one from extruded formed aluminium but I just wondered if there is an after market piece of kit.
Regards to all

Last edited by eurosysytem0; 05-24-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:50 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '06 X7
I have an '06 X-7 and noticed the same problem on our maden voyage. My solution was to source and purchase a piece of 3/4 x 3" aluminum tube stock that I attached to the inside of the panel you are referencing. I secured with SST screws and washers so that it looked integral to the boat. My only concern with trying to contain the sac has been the channel which holds this panel in place. It seams a little light weight for this purpose. Otherwise, it works really nice to keep the bag contained within the footprint of the seat.
As for the bag not empying, I have the same issue. Some weight on the bag thru the process does help, but you never really get it completely empty. I've also had problems with filling the sac. Seams my ballast timer trips out before it ever gets that full.
My dealers advice was to convert the impeller in the ballast pump to green. Supposedly a better unit with more consistent flow?
Good luck
Old 05-10-2011, 04:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the response. It seems like a design flaw. I intend to "create" a solution that uses the side brackets using a panel that completely closes the gap between floor and sun deck(rear seat cushion). As for emptying I am thinking of putting a platform under the sack "2 to Zero sloping from the port side to the starboard side (empty side) so that on emptying the water naturally flows to the outlet pipe. Regarding your problem on pump cut out. I dont have a fill timer and have to rely on the overflow outlets when tank is full. However I did have my pump circuit breaker tripping now and again so that I couldnt empty the sack. The forum advised fit a green impellor. I did and, so far, its worked- no cut outs. The pump is easily accessible under the rear storage locker deck behind the fuel tank on the rear transom bulkhead. Hope this helps.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X2
I have an X7 also with your problems as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurosysytem0 View Post
Thanks for the response. It seems like a design flaw. I intend to "create" a solution that uses the side brackets using a panel that completely closes the gap between floor and sun deck(rear seat cushion). As for emptying I am thinking of putting a platform under the sack "2 to Zero sloping from the port side to the starboard side (empty side) so that on emptying the water naturally flows to the outlet pipe. Regarding your problem on pump cut out. I dont have a fill timer and have to rely on the overflow outlets when tank is full. However I did have my pump circuit breaker tripping now and again so that I couldnt empty the sack. The forum advised fit a green impellor. I did and, so far, its worked- no cut outs. The pump is easily accessible under the rear storage locker deck behind the fuel tank on the rear transom bulkhead. Hope this helps.
Do you have any pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstone124 View Post
I have an '06 X-7 and noticed the same problem on our maden voyage. My solution was to source and purchase a piece of 3/4 x 3" aluminum tube stock that I attached to the inside of the panel you are referencing. I secured with SST screws and washers so that it looked integral to the boat. My only concern with trying to contain the sac has been the channel which holds this panel in place. It seams a little light weight for this purpose. Otherwise, it works really nice to keep the bag contained within the footprint of the seat.
As for the bag not empying, I have the same issue. Some weight on the bag thru the process does help, but you never really get it completely empty. I've also had problems with filling the sac. Seams my ballast timer trips out before it ever gets that full.
My dealers advice was to convert the impeller in the ballast pump to green. Supposedly a better unit with more consistent flow?
Good luck
Keep me posted with pictures if you can. I am interested to see what you come up with.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Not yet but will keep you posted. Still thinking about it and trying to source materials.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MASTERCRAFT X-9 01 INDMAR 330 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurosysytem0 View Post
Hi,
Ive got a 2005 X7 with a rear ballast flexible tank by Fat Sack.
To take on ballast the rear seat is lifted to a sundeck postion and then the fat sack is filled.

Altough the fat sack is shaped/seamed to fill and rise in the space behind the rear seat kicker board (ie within the footprint of the seat), in reality the bag fills and pops theseat kicker board from the hull side brackets and lies there as a large shapeless sack.

Furthermore the bag now is literrally a "Fat Sack" spread across the rear floor between rear bulk head and engine cover which then never properly empties without a lot of lifting etc to get water down to exit pipe. Its a real pain in the butt. Particularly as with my family filling and emptying ballast is a frequent activity

My question is: Is there a more robust higher panel that can slip into the rear seat kicker slots to bridge the gap between floor and the seat underside in the sun deck position to "contain and restrain" the fat sack within the footprint of the rear seat area?

At the moment I am planning to make one from extruded formed aluminium but I just wondered if there is an after market piece of kit.
Regards to all

I had the same problem with my X9 as far as pumping the water out of the ballast. I used a short piece of tygon tubing glued inside the fitting on the ballast sack, I ran it into the sack about 10-12" and havent had any problems with draining. Just a thought before you construct your platform.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks.Its a good idea. I will see how it goes.
Regards
Old 05-11-2011, 12:22 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '06 X7
I like you wedge idea with regards to draining the sack. My initial thought is to purchase some 2" thick foam insulation (the blue or pink stuff at the big box store) and cut it into wedges to creat the taper you talking about. It could create the slope and be coated in fiberglass for a finished look. It also wouldn't add weight to the transom for the slalom wake!
As for the pumps location, I've operated on it many times during an outting to "help" the impeller function. Much better luck since going green!
I'll post a pic of my reinforced retaining board soon.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Hi Guys
Just finished fabricating a wedged platform for under the tank and a new bulkhead floor to underside of sundeck (seat) . Both work great and look good. The fat sack empties (all but a cup full) and the full bag is contained in the seat footprint. Taking photos this weekend and then I will post onto thread.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

See attached the build process for the X7 Fat Sac Compartment.
Materials. 3/4 marine plywood.
Pictures:
1: The cut to measure panels. Top: Bulkhead floor to underside of seat in sun deck position. Middle the footprint platform for Sac to sit on. The cut outs are to allow the fill/empty pipe and the two vent pipes to recess into platform when returning deck to seat position. Also provides a sump at the empty end. Bottom The two "tapered" (2" -1/2") rails screwed under platform to provide drainage slope to assist tank empty.
2. The panels covered in carpet
3. Platform in position
4. Platform and Bulkhead in position
5. Sac installed empty
6. Sac installed full
7. The whole installation with Sac Fully filled
8. Underside view under sundeck

When fully installed and Sac filled it looks great and the new bulkhead retains full sac in seat footprint. Also further supports sundeck across total width. The sloping platform really assists when emptying and barely a cupfull remains.
Hope this helps. This installation with a new green impellor in pump is really providing a trouble free and "neat" solution
Attached Images

Last edited by eurosysytem0; 12-22-2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Update