Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 04-08-2011, 02:24 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantx15 View Post
yeah thats what i would worry about. i dont think i am going to do it i just thought it COULD turn out good. but yes i would not want to replace teak.
It could definitely look cool.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:38 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 PS205, x-14 someday
Here is the 2nd coat.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2011, 02:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 PS205, x-14 someday
3rd and I think final coat. Does anyone think there is any utility in more than 3 coats?
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2011, 02:54 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorguy View Post
3rd and I think final coat. Does anyone think there is any utility in more than 3 coats?
I dunno, I usually run out of ambition after 2-3 coats!
In my experience with the 50hrs a year I put on my 190, 2-3 coats with some light sanding up front and it seemed like I touch it up with a quick coat another couple times throughout the summer to keep it looking nice.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 04-08-2011, 08:11 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 MariStar 230VRS w/ LT-1
My before and after. 1999 Mastercraft Maristar 230VRS.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2011, 10:20 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft X-15ss 6.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
It could definitely look cool.

oh nice! yeah that could come out looking really good on the teak deck. something to look into.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:02 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1993 Stars & Stripes 190, GT40, 1:1, OJ 3 & 4 Blade
Agree - Starbrite Kit is the way to go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ballsisall View Post
Starbrite makes a 3 step kit that works well. Cleaner, brightener and then teak oil. DO NOT try and waterproof the wood with a verethane. Teak oil is what it was made for.
I started to use the starbrite kit to strip the swim platform on my 93S&S but the OE stain was still pretty thick. The only issue there was that it was...well stained dark and not teak which shows every little ding. So it was looking pretty scratched and scared.

I resulted to timestakingly (an hour here and there on and off for a month) sanding the finish off with 120 grit on an 8krpm finishing sander and re-oiled it using the Starbrite oil (step-3).

I did not however take the finish out of every nook and cranny. I was kindof going for a striped tigerwood look. I am happy with the result indeed, though I am sure some with disagree with me, but it is getting positive reviews from the fam.

I got the SB kit from either Skidim or Overtons (get the larger size) for about ~$30-40 if I recall correctly.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2011, 10:20 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
I have a wild hair today. I will completely dissassemble my whole boat cleaning it so that I could eat out of the bildge. Then reassemble boat. Finally I will OCD over my teak platform so that when I come to csm I can woop everyones butt on how clean my boat is. By the way no shoes, tanning lotion, pets, coolers, food or drink, or any people allowed in the boat. I will bring a pop up portable garage so that it can stay covered 24-7 and no I will not put the boat in the lake. I bought this boat you see to win best in show every year. Please remember when you see my boat "Please Don't Touch" and no kids allowed anywhere near it. It is a fragile piece of Mastercraft art that actually will be pulled inside an 18 wheeler box trailer so it will stay out of the wind. I can't wait for my 2011 best in show award. This will be my 18th straight award in a row. By the way I have sanded and oiled my platform all winter long and have about 5 straight months of molesting my teak platform. Can't wait to see you guys there......

Sincerely

Guess who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 04-16-2011, 10:38 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
I have a wild hair today. I will completely dissassemble my whole boat cleaning it so that I could eat out of the bildge. Then reassemble boat. Finally I will OCD over my teak platform so that when I come to csm I can woop everyones butt on how clean my boat is. By the way no shoes, tanning lotion, pets, coolers, food or drink, or any people allowed in the boat. I will bring a pop up portable garage so that it can stay covered 24-7 and no I will not put the boat in the lake. I bought this boat you see to win best in show every year. Please remember when you see my boat "Please Don't Touch" and no kids allowed anywhere near it. It is a fragile piece of Mastercraft art that actually will be pulled inside an 18 wheeler box trailer so it will stay out of the wind. I can't wait for my 2011 best in show award. This will be my 18th straight award in a row. By the way I have sanded and oiled my platform all winter long and have about 5 straight months of molesting my teak platform. Can't wait to see you guys there......

Sincerely

Guess who
Ha, I needed a good laugh this morning.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
Got the last piece of the puzzle almost done to wrap up the 83's restoration...

Here is the teak I started with, you can see that ugly black thing inside the boat that looks like swamp thing.

Here it is now after already doing some work last year, but this time I went all out and have been sanding/pressurewashing/drying for about a week now. Note it is loaded in dust but you can see the grain really came back...

After a very deep drying in the sun for a few days I will start oiling it and then it will be the icing on the cake for the finished boat.

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-