Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2011, 09:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X2 350
Frozen/ cracked JL Subwoofer housing

This one is a first for me... A frozen speaker housing. (see pic) So spring is getting ready here in MN and with that means opeing the wallet for the boat. I did no plan on replacing the JL subwoofer. Has anybody seen this before? The moisture inside the speaker caused the housing to freeze and crack making it useless. Marine quality speakers should not do this. The real problem is caused from the boat cover leaking water in at the tower which flows down to the speaker area. Im working on a better way to seal off the tower area better. This is the first winter in 3 years the boat has been stored, never again. Pulling the boat back to Parker, AZ after Labor day for the winter.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2011, 08:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
That happened in a friend's 07 X2. His was in a sealed enclosure, so I'm not sure why his cracked.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:16 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdevro View Post
This one is a first for me... A frozen speaker housing. (see pic) So spring is getting ready here in MN and with that means opeing the wallet for the boat. I did no plan on replacing the JL subwoofer. Has anybody seen this before? The moisture inside the speaker caused the housing to freeze and crack making it useless. Marine quality speakers should not do this. The real problem is caused from the boat cover leaking water in at the tower which flows down to the speaker area. Im working on a better way to seal off the tower area better. This is the first winter in 3 years the boat has been stored, never again. Pulling the boat back to Parker, AZ after Labor day for the winter.
Regardless of whether the housing is vented or sealed, there's no way moisture cracked that plastic. The only way water would have done that is if the whole thing was completely full and with a speaker cone that could move, it could never cause this. That's from stress, not moisture.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:08 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft Skier
JimN hit that right on the head. A little bit of moisture will have a place to go when it freezes.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 X-25
Agree, this doesn't look like ice damage, ice would have push out the speaker first. The speaker should have been weaker the the fiberglass.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2011 Sanger DXII L96
Either way it is a blessing in disguise, Now in can be replaced by a non-open air sub that has some actual range.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X2 350
OK, I do follow the thought on the ice being able to expand and not hurt the speaker. I looked at the speaker before it was shrink wrapped and it was not cracked. Add 20 below temps and a few months, open the boat back up and its cracked. Now the boat had some fiberglass work done at the dealer (where it was stored all winter) which required it to be lifted off the trailer. So could it have the boat been lifted un-evenly and twisted the hull? Im reaching here. I did replace the sub with the stock JL. For my purposes the sound quality is good.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:39 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdevro View Post
OK, I do follow the thought on the ice being able to expand and not hurt the speaker. I looked at the speaker before it was shrink wrapped and it was not cracked. Add 20 below temps and a few months, open the boat back up and its cracked. Now the boat had some fiberglass work done at the dealer (where it was stored all winter) which required it to be lifted off the trailer. So could it have the boat been lifted un-evenly and twisted the hull? Im reaching here. I did replace the sub with the stock JL. For my purposes the sound quality is good.
If you have seen the raised top of an ice cube in a tray, it's because of expansion but the tray didn't break, did it? No- it didn't. The open top allowed the ice to expand without causing the sides and bottom to crack and the speaker would have acted as if it was the open top of the ice cube tray. The housing would have had to be completely full of water and tightly capped in order for ice to have caused this. If it had a little water inside, there would be no way for it to damage the housing the way it cracked.

Read the specs- it may have some information about operating temperature range and I doubt it's rated below 0F. You have a metal speaker frame and a plastic housing- both have very different expansion/contraction characteristics.

Tags
ice damage, jl audio, speaker, subwoofer, winterization