Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 03-09-2011, 05:27 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Buying
Oil change and K&N Filter

Hey all,

I recently imported a 2008TT Prostar to Australia with low hours and from reputable seller. The boat is nothing but brilliant and logged 50hrs very quickly, so I changed oil and filter last weekend - very easy job, how good are Mastercraft's!

Question is, I was surprised that the oil looked like it had done some work in that 50hrs and was wondering when others change their oil? Ski speeds are ranging from 28mph-36mph and some barefooting for fun as well!

The other question was does anyone change or service the K&N filter at 50hrs as well? If so how?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 03-09-2011, 09:20 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeleake View Post
Hey all,

I recently imported a 2008TT Prostar to Australia with low hours and from reputable seller. The boat is nothing but brilliant and logged 50hrs very quickly, so I changed oil and filter last weekend - very easy job, how good are Mastercraft's!

Question is, I was surprised that the oil looked like it had done some work in that 50hrs and was wondering when others change their oil? Ski speeds are ranging from 28mph-36mph and some barefooting for fun as well!

The other question was does anyone change or service the K&N filter at 50hrs as well? If so how?

Thanks,

Mike
The question would be how long ago did the previous owner change the oil? Otherwise since you dont always get all of the old oil out the new oil mixes quickly and will change color rather fast so I wouldnt worry to much, unless it is black after 5hrs of use or milky then something might be up.

The K & N should last you more then 50hrs easy, I dont re oil the one on my car until 3000 miles or so and that gets filled with bugs, dust, pollen, you name it. I think you are ok for a while.

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 03-09-2011, 10:31 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
50hrs is the reccomended change interval, so you're good there. The oil does not look new coming out at 50hrs, doesn't look like I drained it out of my diesel or anything, but it's definately used.
Change the trans oil as well if you're not sure when it was last changed.
I cleaned and oiled the K&N air filter once on my '96 just because and never touched it again. Haven't touched the 06, looks like new still. IMO, unless you're boating in a dusty environment , it stays clean almost indefinately.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Tags
oil change, service