Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-03-2010, 04:30 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: X-star 2005 maybe...
X-star 2005 purchase in Qatar

Hello gents,
I have been transferred to Qatar and it is a great place for wakeboarding. So I looked for a boat and the only one I found is a X-Star 2005.
I know that this boat is usually for expert wakeboarders, but as it is the only wakeboard boat on the market I don’t have the choice… let’s say it is a great opportunity to become an expert!
Question is more regarding the price; I don’t have so much references as it will be my first Mastercraft. The seller propose 52k$ but I believe price should be more around 42-45k$. The boat has the following specs: MCI engines 350hr 3 ballasts, 600W speakers with trailer and cover (I guess it is basic options?). It has been used in salty environment (and it is very salty in Qatar!) and stored outside (with harsh temperatures during the summer). What is your feeling on that?
Also what I should have a look at regarding maintenance and boat condition? I have read on Mastercraft web site that such boat is not designed to be run in salty water. Also I believe storage outside will have reduced life of electronics and seals?
Thanks in advance for your feedback and sorry for my English… I am French!!! (nobody is perfect)
Charly
Old 11-03-2010, 06:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: SOLD 2007 X1
In the US, the 05 Xstars run from upper 30's USD to mid 50's USD. I do not know if they offered salt water series back then and if so, you need to double check if the one you are looking at is equipped. Personally, I would run for the hills if it has been parked outside in salty air and has been run in salt water. Also, prices can swing widely depending on options (some of these boats have $10k-$15K+ in stereo equipment alone). Here are a couple of examples of 05 Stars in the US:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/2040731950.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/2037077158.html

If for some reason you want to pursue this boat, your next questions should be hours on engine, maintenance records, mechanical shape, visual shape (how are the seats/vinyls?, all gauges work? ballast work?, how is the trailer, etc. etc.). If for some reason the above passes your initial smell test, get it to a mechanic and have them check it out or better yet, get a certified marine survey.

If you search this forum, you will see several detailed check lists on what to look for when purchasing a boat.

3 items in your post are going against you at this point:

1 - Salt water
2 - Stored outside
3 - Price
Old 11-04-2010, 12:41 AM
TT Newbie

Thanks a lot Bob,

I will try the boat next sunday and I will carefully check it... for marine survey, in Qatar it will not be easy. It is already very difficult to find a good and reliable workshop when you have a pb with your car, just imagine for boats like this one!

Do you know where I could find the 2005 brochure of the X-Star with the different option and prices proposed at that time? To be able to compare objectively with the offers on the US.

And I believe, on the same time, I must start looking as other alternatives... unfortunately
Old 11-04-2010, 02:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X-Star
Send a message via MSN to Holman J.B.F
check if that mcx has a closed cooling system.If not that salt will eat the exhaust risers and heads from the inside out.Check for rust in the engine compartment,motormounts etc ect.
look under the dash and see the back of all the swiches look for green oxidation.
What color is the boat and what kind of cover has it?
UV light can fade the darker gelcoats.We just sold my 08 funny thing is it went to France.

overall check ,does evereything work,ballast PP etc etc.
note everything you will find on this boat ,estimate your repair cost and talk them down.
good luck.

There must be a dealer in qatar & Dubai they were looking for another mechanic on this board earlyer this year.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:53 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: SOLD 2007 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by charly View Post
Do you know where I could find the 2005 brochure of the X-Star with the different option and prices proposed at that time? To be able to compare objectively with the offers on the US.
Hopefully some Xstar owners can chime in and help as I dont own the Xstar (I own 2007 X1). The boats come fairly loaded with a lot of standard options that are considered add-on's for other MC boats. My only suggestion is to google 2005 Mastercraft Xstar and/or search Craigs List, etc. and start to compare. Here are two listings on Onlyinboards:

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=820412

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=821013

And another on Wakeworld (this deal looked like he needed to sell pretty fast):

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...tml?1263849190

You will notice most are comparably equipped so that should give you an idea of the common options. For example:

Engine (I think Indmar MCX 350 was the standard)

Tandem axle trailer (some have upgraded wheels on their own)

Stereo with CD (some have satellite, some have Ipod interface, some have upgraded entire system)

JL Internal Audio Speakers (some upgrade with extra speakers, amps and sub-woofers)

(2) JL Tower Speakers are common but some have upgraded to different brands and/or more tower speakers

Most have driver remote stereo control and some have transom remote control

Some have tower lights

Board racks (most appear to have spinning racks)

Speed Control (most appear to have upgraded to Perfect Pass as opposed to MC Cruise)

Most have Bimini

Most have covers

All have ballast (some have upgraded ballast)

Some have heater

If the boat you are looking at has the salt water option (closed cooling system) then that adds some $$ to the price. The major price options (in my opinion) would be upgraded engine and closed cooling. The rest of the options may add/subtract a couple of thousand bucks.

At this point, find out of it has closed cooling (salt option) and if not, run. If it does, everyone will want to know:

*Engine type
*Hours on engine
*Specific options (stereo/speakers, trailer, ballast, racks, etc.)

After that, you can get a good idea on pricing.....

Last edited by bobx1; 11-04-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:55 PM
TT Newbie

Thank you so much for all this information. I took note for all of them and I will have full check up of the boat next Sunday, starting with the closed loop system which is definitively the most important thing.
Crossing the fingers that the boat will be in good shape! otherwise It will end up with a 25ft fishing boat with two outboard engines, much less fun for wakeboarding!!!
Old 11-23-2010, 01:57 PM
TT Newbie

changing to X-2

Hi gents,

So far I didn t manage to test the boat, first it was the battery, then the steering system and now looks like there is a problem with the pressure valve... looks like this boat was not used since a long time and need a full revision... I think I will give up for this one.

So far I am now focusing on a 2007 X-2 with (only) 78.5h, this one is a salt water series with a 5.7L crusader engine. Price proposed is 45K$ with trailor and cover, which would have been fine if the boat was immaculate, but unfortunately it is not the case (see attached pictures).

If the outside looks ok (some scraps on the hull however) the engine has a lot of rusting points / elements, which is clearly showing a lack of maintenance.

I should test the boat next week. I believe the engine could be ok, as it is only "superficial" problems. But anyway it will affect the resale value. 35k$ (if the boat is working fine) looks a fair price. what do you think?

Not easy to find a good boat in the Gulf!
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2010, 02:49 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by charly View Post
Hi gents,

So far I didn t manage to test the boat, first it was the battery, then the steering system and now looks like there is a problem with the pressure valve... looks like this boat was not used since a long time and need a full revision... I think I will give up for this one.

So far I am now focusing on a 2007 X-2 with (only) 78.5h, this one is a salt water series with a 5.7L crusader engine. Price proposed is 45K$ with trailor and cover, which would have been fine if the boat was immaculate, but unfortunately it is not the case (see attached pictures).

If the outside looks ok (some scraps on the hull however) the engine has a lot of rusting points / elements, which is clearly showing a lack of maintenance.

I should test the boat next week. I believe the engine could be ok, as it is only "superficial" problems. But anyway it will affect the resale value. 35k$ (if the boat is working fine) looks a fair price. what do you think?

Not easy to find a good boat in the Gulf!
I personally wouldn't invest 35k in that rust bucket.....the Titanic's engine looks better than that and it's been under water for 100 years.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Yuck! I guess you don'thave many options to choose from over there. What would it cost to ship one? The prices you're throwing out for "abused" boats seem similar to the prices here for boats that are in good to pristine condition. Maybe if you could find a deal on one int he staes you could ship it for even money??
BTW here's an engine pic for those that just got a little sick to their stomach!
Attached Images

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 11-23-2010, 08:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '08 X-1
oh my god...that crusader looks like CRAP!!!

Tags
condition, price, purchase, qatar, x-star