Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2010, 01:31 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X-45, 2008, 8.1L, Pimped
Question Front Facing Tower Lights

I have been going through the boat making sure everything works properly and the only thing that I cant get to work are the front facing tower lights. Am I missing something? Or are they just broken? I tried key in every position except for having the engine running. Rear facing and speakers work fine.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2010, 02:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X-1, 310RTP
Errr, are you turning on the light switch?
Old 11-18-2010, 02:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFresh View Post
I have been going through the boat making sure everything works properly and the only thing that I cant get to work are the front facing tower lights. Am I missing something? Or are they just broken? I tried key in every position except for having the engine running. Rear facing and speakers work fine.Thanks
Could be that the bulbs are burnt out or they are wired to a separate switch that you haven't found yet. Are the front facing lights in the front of the speaker cans or are they in their own enclosures? My rear facing lights operate off a switch located at the top of the plate where the ballast pump switches are.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: SOLD 2007 X1
Locate switch
Power to switch - yes/no?
If no, trace back to fuse bank and check fuses then check wiring back to battery.
If yes, switch in on position, power to lights?
If no, check wiring and possible in line fuses back to the switch.
If yes, check bulbs.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:11 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X-45, 2008, 8.1L, Pimped
I am assuming the switch is working fine since one direction is for forward and the other direction is for rear and the rear works fine. The lights are the factory speaker lights. I will check to see if it is a fuse then I guess check the bulbs. Thanks
Old 11-18-2010, 05:31 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft X-7
Check the connection where the tower folds up. That connection takes alot of abuse putting cover off and on. Mine had a wire pulled out in the plug.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:19 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: SOLD 2007 X1
Quote:
I am assuming the switch is working fine since one direction is for forward and the other direction is for rear and the rear works fine.
I am sure there is a simple explanation/solution (chasing Zebras tends to happen in these situations) but never assume if a switch works in one direction it will also work in another direction. I have come close to losing my mind trying to diagnose issues with various combinations of throws and polls - throw in illumination options (backlight always on, backlight keyed to nav lights, up on, middle off, down on, etc.) and it could send a dummy like me to the funny farm.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Quote:
I am assuming the switch is working fine since one direction is for forward and the other direction is for rear and the rear works fine. The lights are the factory speaker lights. I will check to see if it is a fuse then I guess check the bulbs. Thanks
I don't have lights or a tower, but I do know electronics. When you start "assuming" things you are wasting your time unless you have a crystal ball. You need to get a volt meter or a 12V test light and start checking, not assuming. Is it a 3 position switch, center OFF and ON on the other two directions? If so, and one direction is working (rear), the switch could have a bad contact in the other direction. Under normal conditions, the center pole will be the hot wire (12V) and the other two poles will be the outputs to the lights. If you get 12V on both poles you can either start tracing from the switch or start at the lights and work your way back. You could be getting 12V to the lights but no ground. With some thing like this, it's usually best to find a friend who knows his way around a volt meter.

Tags
lights