Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 11-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Skipper

Fuel Sending Unit Repair

Late in the season, the fuel sending unit went out on my '95 Prostar. Somebody suggested that it could be fixed. Instead of fixing it, I purchased a new one for $160.00 plus shipping. I left the old one on my work bench....until today.

If you have this type of fuel sending unit, and it is inoperative, it is likely that the magnets have come dislodged from the foam float. It is a simple repair to get you back on the water.
Name:  DSC01256.jpg
Views: 4412
Size:  77.7 KB

There are three main components: The tube assembly, the circuit board, and the float. To disassemble the unit, remove the two screws at the bottom of the tube and remove the plastic cap. Then unscrew the two nuts at the top of the unit to allow the circuit board to slide out of the tube.

The culprit in my unit were the two magnets that are supposed to be lodged in the foam float. They came out of the float and were resting on the tab at the bottom of the circuit board. I just used some 5 minute epoxy to connect the magnets back into the float. Then I used a fine file to smooth out the repair.
Name:  DSC01258.jpg
Views: 4106
Size:  32.8 KB

I tested the unit by attaching an ohm meter to the circuit board, then moving the float. You can see in the next pictures that the reading on the guage changes as the float goes from the top (full) toward the bottom (empty).
Name:  DSC01263.jpg
Views: 4103
Size:  59.8 KB
Name:  DSC01260.jpg
Views: 4098
Size:  73.6 KB

Reassembly is just the reverse of disassembly. I cleaned everything up with WD-40 first. Just be sure to insert the foam float into the tube before pushing the circuit board all the way to the top or the tab at the bottom of the circuit board will prevent you from inserting the float. Once assembled, I tested the unit again, this time by holding it right side up and upside down. This just verified that the unit is back in action. You can also connect it to the fuel guage wires and (with the key on) turn it up and down to view the fuel guage changing.
Name:  DSC01266.jpg
Views: 4250
Size:  58.1 KB

Hope this helps somebody else in the future. I sure could have used that $160 some place else. This repair took only about 20 minutes and cost nothing.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Thanks, Skipper, that's the best write-up I've seen on this.

I had to do the same to my boat 4 or 5 years ago; at that time, there were a few active threads on here about re-attaching the magnets. Haven't seen another mention since then.

/frank
Old 11-12-2010, 11:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '94 prostar 190
When I first purchased my 1994 prostar 190 this summer I attempted fixing mine. I reattached a magnet that was loose without any improvements. I think my problem is that the foam float gets stuck.

I may give mine another try next year after seeing that you were able to successfully fix yours.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:15 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
I found the same as Skipper - I had to do some shaving of the float to get it to move smoothly without sticking.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Skipper

There are two magnets. One goes on each end of the foam in the slot. If you have only one magnet, then it will not trigger the sensors in the circuit board. Using a fine file, I removed all of the epoxy covering the magnets on the foam and made the overall surface smoother.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtrskr View Post
When I first purchased my 1994 prostar 190 this summer I attempted fixing mine. I reattached a magnet that was loose without any improvements. I think my problem is that the foam float gets stuck.

I may give mine another try next year after seeing that you were able to successfully fix yours.
The tube in my unit had some old fuel residue built up inside. I cleaned the tube and the circuit board with WD40. You can test the system by connecting to an ohm meter and moving the foam float across the back of the circuit board. The reading should change with the position of the float. If this works, then after you reassemble the unit turn it up and down and the foam float should fall freely. If it is cleaned up inside there should be nothing for it to hang up on in the tube. Also, be sure to file or sand down the front of the float where the magnets are closest to the circuit board. This will keep that surface smooth and will give the best interaction between the magnets and the circuit board.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:47 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Excellent walkthrough. I added it to the FAQ.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:15 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtrskr View Post

I used to have a 92 ProSport 205 and when reformulated fuel came to our area in the mid 90's I had the same issue with the foam getting stuck. I think it swelled slightly with whatever they add to the gas. Anyway, I was able to sand it down slightly all the way around the edges of the float and did not have any further issues with the float for the remainder of the time I had the boat.

Steve

2004 Prostar 197 - Red on White

350 TBI, Perfect Pass, Heater, Shower and a whole lot of fun!
Old 12-09-2010, 01:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, Indmar 351
Send a message via Yahoo to JMann
I bought a new sending unit on skidim for $60. Seems a lot easier to replace than repair.

Either way thanks for the write up very informative.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 sportstar 19
only trick to the repair is aligning the magnets so the poles repel each other. can test by taping magnets in place and sliding along the powered circuit board while watching the fuel gauge.